back to article Pre-NBN, Telstra upgrades to ADSL2+ in Tasmania

Telstra has upgraded its copper broadband network in Tasmania ahead of the deployment of the National Broadband Network. The northern Tasmanian towns of Dilston and Bridport have now upgraded to ADSL2 + in a deployment the carrier says is part of its normal infrastructure investment. Although the build has been seen as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aussie Brusader
    Thumb Up

Nothing like a bit of competition

Telstra can call it what they like. The timing says everything.

Bring on the NBN and Telstra will have to match it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Double teamed!

I live in the inner city suburb of Mt Nelson yet can only get ASDL 1. I'm four houses away from ASDL2+ and Telstra says it will NEVER upgrade my line.

I'm also part of the 7% of Australia that will NOT be getting the NBN .. yep ... a capital city suburb 5 minutes from the GPO is considered "Rural Australia".

Yet I don't qualify for any rural subsidies because I live in a capital city.

3. Head
    Thumb Down

Hmmmm

“Telstra’s networks are supported by a proven roadmap of innovation and investment. We have been able to develop this roadmap thanks to the close working relationships we have with our local communities,” said Telstra Country Wide Area General Manager for Northern Tasmania, Michael Patterson.

What BS is this??

I was working with one business who created an ISP based on fibre and wireless for the whole northern half of Tasmania, DUE TO THE FACT TELSTRA WERE ANTI-COMPETITIVE IN THEIR AVAILABILITY OF DSL!!!

4. -tim
    Grenade

Its just business as ususal

If Telstra decides to go head to head with the NBN, they could roll out direct fibre to the home which would give better speeds than the shared fibre NBNco model. Their low end ADSL2+ (or worse with junky old RIMs) does meet the current needs of a vast majority of current Internet users which means if they hit the high use guys with very high speed fibre, they could end up killing the NBN rollout plan and business plan. I suspect they are too large and slow to understand that concept.

The scary thing that the future of broadband in seems to hinge on a dodgy old telco monopoly and an shiny new one that doesn't understand that their preferred flavour is now considered obsolete in many places around the world.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like