back to article Samsung, Apple knock Nokia off top handset spots

Nokia has been knocked off the top spot as Europe's best-selling phone maker by Samsung, and in the smartphone arena by Apple. First-quarter figures released by market watcher IDC give the South Korean giant 29.3 per cent of the market, just ahead of Nokia's 27.9 per cent share. Nokia's unit shipments fell ten per cent on its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Symbian

No love for Symbian then. After all, this is the last chance to buy Symbian phones before that platform expires.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Re: Symbian

The platform won't expire. It's leaking fuel now and it's about to explode. Remember the burning platform memo? Too bad for Nokia that the Windows Phone lifeboats haven't been inflated yet...

Flames, for obvious reasons.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Charts?

Bar charts. They've heard of them.

3. dogged
    Stop

Apple trolling.

Samsung dethroned Nokia. Apple were just an also-ran, as usual.

Why the Reg continues to puff them as if they were important is baffling.

1. Steve Evans

Re: Apple trolling.

I thought that when I first read the article, but it's just badly written.

There are actually two sets of figures in there. Samsung have beaten Nokia just for general phones, and Apple have beaten Nokia when you specifically look at Smartphones. Given all the previous headlines you would be hard pressed to find anyone that thought Nokia were still dominant in the European smartphone market, but they were, right up until now.

The victory must be a little tainted for Apple though. Sure they have knocked Nokia off the top spot for smart phones, but if you use the OS view, they were passed by cross manufacturer Android a few months back.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a Nokia N8 owner

I can't say I'm surprised...

5. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Jobs Horns

HTC should buy RIM

Then you would have a decent hardware manufacturer supplying businesses with decent Enterprise software. Plus, they would then have more handsets than Apple.

Win. Win.

6. N13L5
    Linux

Shame about Nokia

Nokia has way better customer service and long term Support than Stinky Samsung has.

But I admit, I will neither buy another Symbian phone ever again, i hate that crap (won't go into details here) nor will I take unnecessary chances on Microsoft's vagaries...

Samsung dazzles everybody (including me) with the best hardware to make the sale, But soon after, you're on your own. Can only hope you got a model that sold exceedingly well, so you have a supply of custom roms from hackers later on, when Samsung gave up on fixing things cause they have a newer model out.

Anyway, while all the phone makers are basically traitors to the people who buy their phones, cause they care more about making the stinking telco's happy, I wish Nokia would deliver some phones with as close to straight-up Linux as possible, and use Python to make apps. Voila, no nightmares with Larry Ellison, no royalty and patent bs.

These phones are small computers, and we should be able to do with them what we want, including the attachment of peripherals, from tiny geiger counters to anything else someone can think up.

I don't think Windows Phone will work as a lifeboat... I certainly will not buy one, and neither is anyone else I know. Nobody is that fond of Microsoft that they'd specifically want them on a new device.... not if there are alternatives.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like