back to article 'Boil the ocean' data loss prevention needs to change

Check Point is pushing its vision of consolidating disparate security products, managed from a single dashboard and centred on enterprise firewalls. Consolidating security offers better control, Gil Shwed, Check Point's chief exec, told delegates to the security vendors' annual conference in Barcelona on Wednesday. Check Point …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DS 1

Hahahah

I like the idea checkpoint are talking to us as if they know a thing about reducing complexity. The last time I dealt with them, their licensing models and pain in the ass methods made MS licensing version 6 look like fun.

2. Dan Price

Did the headline make anyone else think of Firefly?

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

No ...

... but thanks for the reminder. Brightened my day, that has.

3. The Alpha Klutz

I have consolidated all of my toilets into a single cubicle.

It provides a more unified experience for my IT staff.

Further, the amount of time they spend in there has been slashed 40%.

1. Stevie

Bah!

"Cubicle"???? Luxury! We dream o' toilets wi' cubicles!

We 'ave to use communal bucket wi' tarpaulin draped over us body fer privacy!

4. InfoGuy22

Next generation DLP

Sounds like the "Reverse content-aware Firewall" offered by gtb technologies

5. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Hold on....

"sysadmins can enjoy better security at lower costs by culling point products in corporate environments"

Sorry that should read, "sysadmins can enjoy better security at lower costs by culling point products from our competitors or those who refuse to play with our standards"

1. Peter Mc Aulay
      Flame

Re: Hold on....

All sysadmins know they can enjoy better security at lower cost by culling the user base in corporate environments.

The flames of Hell, to consign the Exchange cluster to, and all its Outlook hell-spawn.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

The Computer Associates approach

They used to called them Enterprise Management Frameworks.

Like the rocket business there is nothing new in the computer business.

7. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Security cannot be an after thought.

Security cannot be an after thought. It must be designed in, from day one, into a system. Nor can it be added just at the top layer. The security mantra must exist all the way through the system: From web application to operating system and to the hardware as well.

Security has to be balanced with usability. Make security so strong that it makes the system too hard to use and people will either not use the system, or switch off the security.

IMHO, many of these security appliances are trying to paper over the cracks in the security of other systems and give a false sense of security.

Finally, security has to be done by people who know about it.

Security is hard. It costs money. It takes time. But when it goes wrong ? Just ask Sony...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

DLP is mature and needs to be turned on as active?

My ass... not for mail routing. Nothing like a security product randomly pulling packets off the network to make routing between mail servers more fun and exciting.

...which is exactly why they had to exclude the mail servers from network DLP and put in a point-product (Vontu) specifically to address DLP for mail.

9. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
    Alert

Hahaha - nice try

This simply starts a battle of the standards. If everyone just offered decent APIs it would not be a problem, but I'm willing to put money on it that it will be a one-way system for Checkpoint - it will gather data but not share them, thus contributing to the mess they allege to solve..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like