back to article Ubisoft to turn games into movies, TV shows

Videogames publisher Ubisoft is to launch a film company to adapt its games into motion pictures. The project, Ubisoft Motion Pictures, will help the French publisher's ambitions of knocking Activision and EA off the top perches of the gaming world, movie industry title Variety reports. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sooty
    Joke

successful game to movie transition

Step 1

Do not, under any circumstances, let Ewe Boll direct it.

Step 2

Profit!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Can't wait!

<rant>

Congrats for taking your business to a new level ubisoft, BUT every time I see the name "ubisoft" I want to kick someone in the nads. I just can't wait to log into a DRM server to watch a video!

</rant>

3. Juan 2
    Thumb Up

Assassins Creed *could* be a good one

If they make a movie of Assassins Creed of similar quality to the the Assassins Creed Lineage short movies, then it could be a good one...

1. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

AC and more :)

From one who liked PoP and Silent Hill, more adaptations would be great.

"....including Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell."

"Assassins Creed Lineage short movies" into a movie would be a good start. Ghost Recon, perhaps, but Splinter Cell would be great. :)

Tomb Raider wasn't too great, but still a decent show to watch in the Theater.

4. Bassey

Simple Answer

No.

Tomb Raider was also rubbish. It just seems less awful when compared to others.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Alastair Dodd 1

Good movie adaptations of games

Tomb Raider was passable but not great - for actually okay ones I would suggest Hitman as that was actually quite cool & Silent Hill was pretty good. PoP was not great.

1. Allicorn
      Thumb Up

Title schmitle

Silent Hill definitely. As far as game->movie transfers go, that's the one that I tend to think of when prompted for any that weren't an unmitigated disaster.

7. Thomas 4

LMAO

If they think they have trouble with PC piracy at the moment, wait until they start putting out DVDs.

I can see it now, a montage of clips that make the "You wouldn't steal a...." warning seem like an open invite to freetards everywhere. Or maybe they set off an EMP pulse at the end of each cinema screening, in order to fry anyone that might have recorded the film on their mobiles.

8. Smallbrainfield
    Coat

How about Super Marios Brothers?

I'll get me coat.

1. Octopoid
      Happy

The 80's are way ahead of you..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w2fi_f5OLY

9. Code Monkey
    Paris Hilton

Game to Fillum

The genre sucks huge ones but you've got to admire their persistennce.

"One day my boy we'll do a game adaptation that doesn't stink!"

Paris because she sucks big oh what's the use?

10. Alpha Tony

Personally

I'm looking forward to Peter Jackson's adaptation of that famous Spectrum text adventure 'The Hobbit'.

Although I hope it's better than that version of 'Donkey Kong' he did a few years back.

11. ratfox

Could be good

I think games like say Splinter Cell do have a very good chance.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Resident Evil

Resi Evil has been quite enjoyable I thought

13. Neonin
    FAIL

One day, my friends...

One day these film companies will realise that the only way to make a successful game-to-film conversion is to use the MYTHOS of these games (and there are plenty of excellent ones available, Dragon Age comes to mind) and base a story in it, not try and adapt a story done in a game onto the big screen. Yes, yes, I know using the big name from the game attracts the fanbois, but they invariably leave disappointed so why not just take the excellent background material and world created, and make a good story to go in it using new characters?

Oh wait, that would make sense... we can't have any of that! ;)

14. Daniel B.
    Thumb Up

They've got a shot

Keeping production inside the company means that the movie will actually have the game's storyline.

The other thing they really need is implementing a NO UWE BOLL zone at their studio. God that guy really hates gamers.

15. mafoo
    Happy

see->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_1KlWFJyA

16. Baudwalk
    Thumb Up

I'd like to see...

...them try a live action version of Rayman.

Disembodied hand icon.

17. Nelson
    Grenade

Two Words

Resident Evil

18. Rob Beard
    Thumb Up

I'd love to see...

...a cartoon of Raving Rabbids. I'm sure they could come up with enough ideas for a 15 or 25 minute cartoon.

Rob

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Call Aardman productions!

Stop'n'go clay animated version of Raving Rabbits would be awesome!

19. kaiserb_uk

Interactivity?

I might be wrong, but I think that maybe the plots of even the best games are not really strong enough to support a non-interactive experience like a movie. In a game they work just fine, even admirably, because you are so much more engaged with the whole thing. But just sitting there watching, and Resident Evil becomes 'Mila Jovavitch kicking things in the head' (which I'll pay for, but should probably be in some sort of speciality section).

1. MJI Silver badge

Some plots are

Assassins Creed would be strong enough, anything like the games and I would see it, just make sure you keep the sounds.

Some games are more like films and not need adaptions - see Uncharted

20. asdf
    Grenade

heard something about

Brad Pitt wanting to be in Red Dead the movie which might work. FYI on Ewe Boll his movies are meant to bomb as he is the German Ed Wood who only makes movies that lose money so his investors can take advantage of some German tax loophole.

21. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Ubisoft Motion Pictures

Ubi Motion Pictures

Ubimation Film Works

Ubifilms

Ubi adaptions

22. Grave

uwe boll

uwe boll - please watch some of his latest movies like darfur or rampage

before you start parrotting

1. Shakje

Erm...

Rampage

--------------

IMDB: 6.4/10

RottenTomatoes Users: 47% (3.1/5)

Darfur

---------

IMDB: 5.7/10

RTU: 43% (3/5)

Look, I'm willing to give him a chance, but I watched Far Cry before I knew who he was and Til Schweiger couldn't save it. I also watched House of the Dead and only made the connection after Bloodrayne. I accidentally watched the Dungeon Siege one he did (I didn't realise it was one of his films) and was asleep within half an hour (and as someone who loves films, that doesn't happen very often).

Sorry, but to give someone who has made so many bad films a chance it requires a pretty special film, and Darfur and Rampage just don't look like that film.

23. MancMike
    Happy

Splinter Cell you say?

They are going to make Sam Fisher come alive? I think I just soiled myself with excitement :)

24. Will Shaw
    FAIL

Case In Point

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400426/

25. 1Rafayal
    Paris Hilton

So much love for Uwe Bolle?

Why has every post that mentions Uwe Bolle been down-voted?

Paris, because even she can make a better film than Bolle

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like