back to article Skype sex cadets charged for misusing telco services

Police in Australia have finally worked out how to charge two Australian Defence Force Academy cadets at the center of the ‘Skype sex scandal’. At the end of last week, the two were charged with “using a carriage service to cause offence" for their alleged role in broadcasting a fellow female cadet engaging in consensual sex. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

the military charge will be...

bringing the army/air force/Navy into disrepute.

not sure which branch of the se3rvice they are in however they all have the same rulebook really.

in the UK it's Section 69C of the Army Act.

they will probably get their asses booted out.

2. AdamWill
    WTF?

Erm...

"Things which are conducted privately may be appropriate, but they are not appropriate if they are conducted in public, including through the use of social media.”"

Are we supposed to understand by this that it would've been fine to do it the old-fashioned, non-social-media based way - film yourself having sex with someone without their knowledge or behaviour, then mail copies of the video to all your mates?

3. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

@adamill

I think that would count as "social media"; it's social and it uses media! The mechanics - whether it was Skype, a live video feed, a hole in the wall, a T3 line or dial-up - aren't really the issue. I was in Australia when this broke and there was discussion in the papers about whether the concealed camera invalidated the consent and this should be charged as rape, but I left before I heard any more.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like