back to article Foxconn staffers cuffed for leaking iPad 2 design in 2010

It has emerged that Chinese contract electronics manufacturer Foxconn, famous for suicidal employees, authoritarian control over its workers, and contracts for Apple, last year handed three employees over to police for leaking the design of the iPad 2. The news, only now emerging from China, comes a month after Chinese police …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JeevesMkII
    Jobs Horns

Well....

That'll learn 'em for trying to get a living wage. On the plus side, it's probably nicer in prison than being a foxconn wage slave.

1. JaitcH
      Unhappy

GuangXi Province has over 140 jails and even from the outside ...

they look depressing. No one, but no one, would want to stay in them.

For a short list of the prisons see < https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_prisons_in_Guangxi >. These are where the prison factories exist.

2. Steve Todd
      FAIL

They were already getting a living wage

Not great by our standards, but better than the areas that they come from and enough to afford luxuries like mobile phones and eating out at restaurants. The workers in question will have been at the upper end of the scale in order to have been involved in prototype construction, so they will have been on rather more than basic wages.

Prison in China is rather worse than the cosseted life that US/European lead, they'll much prefer to be working at Foxconn believe me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Foxconn

You've been in a Chinese prison then ?

3. JaitcH
    Unhappy

For a country whose raison d'être has always seemed to be ...

plagiarism locking these guys up seems a bit rich.

They should be given 'gongs' for entrepreneurship.

1. Trevor 7

Locked up for a reason

They forgot to pay the appropriate bribes. Entrepreneurship is good, as long as all the correct wheels are "greased".

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

re: They forgot to pay the appropriate bribes.

^This

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@ JaitcH

<quote>For a country whose raison d'être has always seemed to be plagiarism...</quote>

That's rather insulting to a country that was already building the great wall while your ancestors were living in their own shit inside mud huts.

4. deadlockvictim
    Troll

Apple warmth and fuzziness

I love Apple.

Apple makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Apple products complement my organic food and locavore lifestyle.

I love Apple.

5. Head

Hmm

What a nice way for Apple to win over customers and confidence in its shareholders...

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

What?

Foxconn make stuff for loads of people. Just because the arrest in question was about the iPad 2 (for which there is a lot of money to be made in accessories) doesn't mean this has anything to do with Apple. They've been quite tough on Foxconn and other contractors and have even terminated contracts due to health and safety violations.

Here's a list of Foxconn customers, I'm willing to bet that you have some of their products:

Apple, Acer, Amazon.com, Asus, Intel, Cisco, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Nintendo, Nokia, Microsoft, Sony, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Vizio

6. Ted Treen
    Flame

Selective Inconsistency

"...Chinese contract electronics manufacturer Foxconn..."

"...The Apple gadget factory was criticized over working conditions..."

The suggestion being that Foxconn are somehow purely working for/run by/influenced by Apple?

You know as well as I do that Foxconn labels are found in virtually ALL PCs, Laptops and bits & bobs...

It's a bit like slating Citroën (and Citroën alone) for the employment or operational practices of Michelin or Pirelli.

This is all getting about as "impartial" as the Beeb...

7. Cowichan

Foxconn & not really

There's really two stories. 1) Foxconn 2) PRC managers and workers and union etc. Foxconn follows "when in Rome do as the Romans do", so a lot of the ongoings are PRC management - culture. Very big factories like Foxconn's ops are very hard to create in outside-culture patterns. Toyota successfully instills it's kata in PRC, with a swack of provisos because the prevailing culture still tends to bonk things.

Foxconn is Taiwanese. Check the local Taiwanese businessman's school in that area of China. You'll find PRC schooling problems in a school offering a Taiwanese program. Same pattern of problems - and problems to do with the kids. A very sensitive area. When the sky fell and all the money first dribbled away, the PRC Chinese boss of the Dongguan Taiwanese businessman's school decided to cut back. His budget and available money was actually unchanged, he just followed the local crash norms. So he skewered the living arrangements for the higher-paid-than-everybody-else white-face english-second-language teachers, and they left. Bonkering the school program and saving money that the businessmen employing him were happy to spend on their kids. That's the place where Foxconn operates.

8. YoYO
    Happy

If you do the crime

you gotta do the time

9. Steen Hive
    Joke

Perish the thought.

An absolute disaster! A healthy ecosystem of 3rd party accessories? Won't someone think of the children!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like