back to article Beyoncé sued over aborted videogame deal

Beyoncé has been branded a grinch after she decided not to endorse a dance videogame, driving the developer to sack dozens of coders in the week before Christmas. New York studio Gate Five is suing Beyoncé for "a bad faith breach of contract", alleging the curvacious chanteuse pulled out of the project on what "appeared to be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Who the heck is "Beyoncé"?

And does it really matter in the great scheme of things?

I'm beginning to wonder if ElReg's "hardware" is targeting my demographic ...

1. DavCrav

It matters.

"And does it really matter in the great scheme of things?"

Matters to the people who lost their job. Twunt.

1. Adam T

Re. It matters.

Gah now I feel bad.

And it was only last week I was saying to a friend "how is it we never see the news24 reporting on game studios being shut down, whereas anything else with unemployment is considered newsworthy by the mainstream news media?"

There you go. Not quite redemption worthy, but perhaps it's a good point.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Losing their jobs

Yes it's lamentable but who is more to blame?

A spoiled and pampered celebrity performer or the "enterpreneur" with a bright idea to make a product which only selling point was to be the name and boobs of the said spoiled and pampered celebrity performer on the box? Oh, and hire 70 people to try to do what really was just a wild punt...

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Joke

Easy fix.

Take game source.

Perform global search / replace, changing all instances of "Beyoncé" to "Insane Cow".

Recompile.

Trademark "Insane Cow".

Ship game as "Insane Cow dance moves" or similar, with a disclaimer on the box saying; "Any resemblance between our Insane Cow and any actual cows with genuine sanity issues living or dead is entirely unintentional".

1. Rovindi
        Coffee/keyboard

nice one centurion...

Another nose-bubble moment...

3. serviceWithASmile

beyonce

is a popular pop artist with nice bajungas

she doesnt matter much in the grand scheme of things (aside to her fans) but her indirectly (or directly depending on your p.o.v) causing the loss of 70 jobs in the IT industry, in the context of motion controlled gaming, probably qualifies enough as hardware to justify the incident being reported here.

OT: i lol'd.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Does it matter ?

To the 70 guys toiling on the game, I think it did.

5. Adam T

Indeed

Strikes me as something I'd see on the cover of OK! magazine while waiting in line for the till at Tescos.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If this is true

Beyoncé is well-positioned for the 2011 Naomi Campbell Person of the Year Award.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Well...

At least that's one utterley shit game that never made it to the shelves.

3. David Gosnell

Hmm

If a celebrity tie-in was needed to make the game successful, go figure.

4. Dave Murray
    Dead Vulture

Reg Hardware?

Why is this posted in Hardware? A story about a video game and a fat arsed woman who can't sing, ok I can see the IT angle but hardware?

1. ratfox
      Paris Hilton

Anything to do with video games...

Ends up on Reg Hardware.

No, I don't know why either...

2. Lamont Cranston
      Happy

Same reason all the other video game related news and reviews

appear here.

Do try to keep up.

3. Captain Scarlet
      Alert

hmm

Have to agree motion sensing games are more software than hardware.

4. Yag
      Joke

Breast implants...

Do they qualify as hardware? I mean... they are supposed to be soft, aren't they?

5. AdamWill

I take it...

if the company wins it'll be splitting all that lovely moolah with the developers it canned, right? Sure it will.

6. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Wasn't going to happen...

If they thought they were going to sell $100 million worth of games just on Beyonce's name, well, I don't think that was possibly going to happen. It's a shame the investors pussed out just over some celebrity endorsement though, if the game was any good it would have stood on it's own.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ hmm

Now we're agreed that motion sensors are software devices, can we move on to being able to tell our arse from our elbow?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jay-Z's Tried and Tested Formula to the Rescue

Maybe Jay-Z could step in as their new celebrity. He could be absent from the game until a random moment in the middle of a girlband's love ballad cover when he pops up to deliver a monologue about how many copies of the game he can sell. Then he explains that he has more money than you and disappears.

It should be easy to entice him to do it since it will only take him about 5 minutes in the studio.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like