back to article IPv4 addresses priced at $4 on new trading site

IPv4 address trading – long predicted by authorities such as APNIC (Asia Pacific Network Information Centre) chief scientist Geoff Huston – has arriving with a vengeance. Now there's even a site devoted to it: Tradeipv4.com, registered at the end of March by a German Python developer Martin von Loewis. Tradeipv4.com is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Not surprised

That didn't take long at all. We haven't officially run out yet, and already there are people running around selling their free address space.

Go ahead fellas, price it sky high... it'll make IPv6 sound really good to the non-technical consumer! :-D

2. M Gale

One reason IPv6 is still years away

It's like those conspiracy theories where the Big Bad Oil Companies are keeping super-high-efficiency free energy secret, except in this case it's not a conspiracy.

Why introduce a 128 bit address space when you can keep the old model and charge people increasingly high amounts for a set of 32 1s and 0s?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Years as opposed to decades

Question is, what do you do as an ISP when you've got more customers than IPv4 addresses? Put up the no vacancy sign?

1. M Gale

What do you do?

Same as anybody else faced with dwindling supplies of a finite resource: Pay more for it, go bust, or both. Plus, plenty of ISPs already have limited IPv4 address space. Some of them own their own addresses, some rent address pool access from others. It's one of the reasons DHCP was invented.

Massive IPv6 adoption will only happen when the big players, like Google, Yahoo, Facebook and the rest, go to a primarily IPv6 service. Until then, why should Joe Public give a shit about something geeky and technical like TCP/IP?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Easy

Carrier Grade NAT (CGN) - Now playing at an ISP near you!

2. Lance 3

It is not really 128-bit

It is not really 128-bit when the smallest block is 64-bit. In IPv4, someone can be assigned ONE IP address. In IPv6, the smallest is 64-bit with 64 for the host portion. In reality, IPv6 is 64-bits.

3. Jerry
    Pirate

I've got my own /24

I've got my own /24 running my household network and a couple of business servers and phones. It's in the APNIC region and it was got perfectly legally in the early days of the internet

They are trying everything possible to steal it back from me now. First they took away my ability to manage the domain and revoked my user IDs. They then required me to get them to make changes. Then they put a freeze on any changes to the zone delegation unless I pay an annual fee of thousands of dollars. So I'm just sitting tight and not changing my DNS servers in any way.

They can have my /24 when the prise it from my cold dead hand.

1. David Dawson

Wondering

What does DNS have to do with a /24 IP block?

Just curious, I can't make a connection.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

3.2.1.in-addr.arpa delegation and WHOIS

Ring any bells?

1. David Dawson
          Pint

not particularly.

Having never admin'd an IP block, I have to be honest, your answer didn't help me straight off, but did point me in the right direction.

Google filled in the gaps, and for anyone else suffering the same appalling ignorance as me.

The answer appears to be setting up reverse dns lookup entries.

1. Jerry
            Pirate

Routing

The one thing they haven't done yet is to control the routing to my net. My ISP advertises the route for me (no BGP for me :-( )

So I expect if APNIC get desperate they'll start charging for the routing or simply direct my ISP to stop advertising it.

4. David 39
    Coat

eltit

I have a 10.0.0.0/8 for sale bidding starts at 15 mil.

1. My Alter Ego

That's a little high

I'll give you £8,388,608 for it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

I'll trade you a Nigerian email for it

and you can double your money in no time.

5. Elmer Phud
    Thumb Up

Oh and

and I love the 'glasses' at the end.

6. b166er

Tit le

Someone should tell BT 'addresses are not property and therefore cannot be traded'. £5 a month, robbing ba$tards.

7. Christos Georgiou
    Black Helicopters

Which Dr. Martin v. Löwis is it?

The one who also is/was a core Python developer? A well known member of the PSU, I pres

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like