back to article Microsoft markets 'collection' of PCs to consider

Microsoft UK has unveiled its first 'collection' of PCs, chosen by the company to suit lifestyles and budgets. The spring collection features 30 models from nine manufacturers and will be available from all major retailers. The PC makers are Sony, Dell, Packard Bell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, Acer, Alienware and Scan. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard 12 Silver badge

What a strange concept

Given that everything in The Collection is now out of date, why bother?

2. Select * From Handle
    Thumb Down

Good Idea Microsoft Bad Design....

just checked the page out.

the first 4 categories was was good but once you click one, it stays with the same layout and you have to scroll right to see the others. once you click on one of the pc/laptops, it sometimes doesn't even tell you where to get the laptop from or how much...

it would be better if, after you have clicked a category to have a list style, blog layout of all the laptop/pc's in that category with a price next to them so people could compair theim without having to click each pc/laptop.

3. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

You missed ASUS

There also on the list (under Gaming)

4. Robert Carnegie Silver badge
    Joke

Oh, here's one with Android

I'm joking, I haven't looked

5. EddieD

Erm, that's a macbook

Okay, it's had an accident with some tins of paint, but it looks exactly like the "late 2010" Unibody Macbook I have on my desk (even to the rounded corners - I can't see the icons)

If there's too much choice, why offer more?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Rounded corners?

...That's a lawsuit waiting to happen!

6. Buzzword

Desktops?

They're nearly all laptops. There are a couple of all-in-ones for "entertainment" and a couple of desktops for gaming, but no bog standard desktops. That's a shame considering how much cheaper a desktop can be.

1. mittfh
      Alien

Money, money, money

Simple. It's more difficult to apply hardware upgrades to a laptop. So in a few years time when they're encouraging everyone to rush out and buy Windows 8, the users will install it on their laptops, notice that it suddenly runs a lot slower, then they'll have to go out and buy the latest laptop with Win 8 preinstalled. Therefore Microsoft get a bonus - two licenses, one install. And of course the new laptop will only have the Starter Edition of Office 2012 on it, so you'll have to pay them even more money to upgrade it to the full version - and as the full version will be delivered 'over the air', you'll never have a physical media so when you next upgrade your laptop, you won't be able to install your existing version of Office.

It all makes shrewd business sense... if you can develop a business model that results in customers doubling / trebling / quadrupling your 'per user' revenues, so much the better...

7. zybok
    Thumb Down

Tech for SHOUTY PEEPS

Thats just what you get with the Gadget show. Shame we can't have Signature PSs like the US get.

s

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Scan.

Gob smacked, pleased and gob smacked.

What happened to microsoft ?

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I'm not generally inclined towards harsh language....

But that's THE largest heap of bovine excrement I've had the misfortune to smell in a LONG time.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Fashion dictators

It''s bad enough having the usual gang of fruit flavoured freaks telling us what we should be wearing now Microsoft wants to tell us what we should compute with.

I blame Paris and her ilk.

11. G R Goslin

Wot, no tablets

Oops!

1. David Gosnell

Apart from...

... the Acer Iconia Tab (probably the most interesting of the Windows-endowed tablets to date) and, arguably, the Dell Inspiron Duo?

12. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

We need a new icon ...

"Oh FFS !"

13. Anonymous IV
    Unhappy

Just the one decent supplier, then?

"Models featured in The Collection will be sold at PC retailers from PC World and Currys to John Lewis and Comet."

What were John Lewis thinking of? Did they know they'd be associated with those three?

14. happychappie

A List from Microsoft?

My colleague just hinted that they were ranked by size of manufacturer bung - whatever that means?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except.

Except for Scan being above Samsung.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/thecollection/Collection.aspx?category=gaming

15. slooth
    Thumb Down

Awwwww

Awwww, the Microsoftie web guys learnt how to use Ajax...... Don't understand why they did not use Silverlight (their baby!!!).

Still, only one good machine (Scan) amongst the lot of them

16. Jonathan Walsh
    Thumb Down

pricing

Pricing is a bit dubious - they seem to quoting the tech specs of the highest specced machine but then quoting the RRP of the lowest specced. Check out the Acer Ethos in the entertainment section for example.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Geek Squad

List seems ok to me, dont know what you are whining about. For those that have better things to do than read every review site and worry about whether the iWank chipset is better than the iWank2 chipset, I've found a laptop that will do the wife for her hols next year and enough left over for a weeks supply of beer and takeaway food.

Looking forward to the peace and quiet...

18. paul brain
    FAIL

too much choice

People find too much choice confusing...

Microsoft solution... here is 30 choices..!!

You can`t make this up.

19. mfraz
    FAIL

Too much choice?

If that is true then why do Microsoft release so many different versions of Windows each time?

20. dssf

If there is too much choice, ms...then...

Maybe one day ms will pay Apple to do ms' laptop design... hahahaha

21. DEAD4EVER
    WTF?

collections god almighty

why so many versions of type of pcs theres only a few really gaming, light users, er thats about it lol why have so many versions its like flaming windows to many editions god its confusing just stop it microsoft your confusing your customers. whats left of them lol

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like