back to article UK.gov signals weary welcome to Brussels' web cookies law

A European Union directive on web cookies that comes into force next month was today endorsed by the UK government, with some caveats attached. Communications minister Ed Vaizey said the UK.gov had no plans to "gold-plate" the EU regulations by bringing in additional measures. However, the Department for Culture, Media and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well,

this can only end well

2. Thomas 18
    Go

Dialog

Would you like this website to work?

Yes No

1. Circadian
      Grenade

@Thomas 18

Strangely enough, sites that are well-programmed (oh I don't know - like The Register perhaps?) work perfectly well without cookies. And ask *explicitly* if you want to you use the facility of cookies to make your visit more convenient.

Yes, I know that most sites that require identity to work properly (e.g. banking, shopping, fora) are made more convenient by the use of cookies, but even *they* shouldn't require them (just that the customer would need to go through the process of logging on at least once every time that they use the site). However, for general web browsing/viewing, cookies should not be needed. Seems the primary use of cookies has changed from the customers' convenience, to be for advertisers use.

So how soon will we get the advertisers weaseling out of "do not track" settings in headings by saying they only apply to cookies and not to gifs/falsh-cookies/dom-storage/technology-X, so it's fine to track people...?

3. Matt 21

IAB is trying to get it the wrong way round

The ads should appear with an icon you can click if you DO want to be tracked, not the other way round.

Nice try tough.

I love the way the government is trying to act all surprised as if the EU has dumped this on them, ignoring the fact that they've been involved in it from the beginning, again nice try!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awful damned tired...

...of legislation fagainst Corporations being watered down to the point of being pointless and legislation against consumers being strengthened.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crunch is Coming

The IAB solution is only a tiny part of the story - and as pointed out - the wrong way round.

Browsers themselves will never be the right vehicles to control your data at a granular level - or according to local/regional regulation.

An alternative is needed that enables consumers to take control over their web experience and data privacy, and give an opportunity to build trust with brands/networks that they are prepared to share their data with.

That solution will be coming soon.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits

Under the European Privacy and Electronic Communications directive, UK-based businesses and other organisations running websites that track their users' cookies will be required by law to obtain "explicit consent" from visitors to their sites.

-----

When they say UK based does that mean bricks and mortar?

Shouldn't that be European based since its a European directive?

How will "explicit consent" work?

Put a cookie on to say you DO NOT want to be tracked?

Isnt this a form of tracking anyway?

And if you clear your cookies, are you asked again?

Or put a cookie on to say you DO want to be tracked.

7. Richard Porter

Why get het up about it?

If people advertise at me I'm less likely to buy their products and services.

Btw I have got a dirty great cookie from Reghardware.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

The children, hello

Where CEOP with there per standard "Think of the childeren", just when you need this joke outfit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like