back to article Sony Ericsson posts Android bootloader unlock code

Sony Ericsson has made good on its pledge to publish details showing "advanced developers" how they can legitimately unlock the bootloader code incorporated into certain SE Android smartphones. The unlock applies only to 2011 phones running Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and to handsets that haven't been tied to a network operator, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sony opens up a device?

Did we just travel back in time to April 1st?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Sony lawyers

Are in a pen, frothing...

Won't be long before they break out though.. and sony bans this kind of thing.. you can read the playbook over on the PS3 linux forums...

3. davenewman
    FAIL

Not so advanced developers

Their unlocking software runs on Windows, while any serious Android developer codes on Linux.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the interests of being green

Surely the EU could mandate that this information is made available when a device is dropped from manufacturer support? I know a few android owners who have changed from a perfectly working handset to a new one just because there are no longer updates forthcoming and they all felt it's a bit of a waste.

5. Leona A
    Pint

Make your mind up Sony

One minute they are taking people to court for hacking their platform, the next they are giving the codes out, more turnarounds than the UK government, not that I'm saying its a bad thing, you should be able to do what you like with the hardware YOU buy!

6. Daniel Voyce

Motorola

.... need to follow suit on this one - My Milestone is past its sell by date now and would love to be able to install a proper custom rom & kernel on it rather than a one legged version of Cyanogenmod :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

motorola

yep i agree, they done a real dirty trick on the milestone, infact ive given up on the phone and moved over to the desire hd after only 9 months of use.

because of this i will be making a pass on any new motorola products (over a year to get 2.2 and flash!).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Can you do this to a phone that's been unlocked?

If I buy a SIM locked handset, then I won't be able to bootloader unlock it. Fair enough.

If I buy a SIM locked handset, then I get my phone provider to unlock it for me, then will I be able to bootloader unlock it?

(For the record, I'm not talking about market-stall phone unlocking services; I'm talking about getting it done officially via the network operator).

8. Craig Chambers
    FAIL

How many times? Sony Ericsson are NOT Sony!

All the clever jibes about Sony's lawyers, and Sony's policies are referring to a parent company with only a 50% stake. I'm not saying SE are perfect, or that they don't have their own ridiculous lawyers.

9. Phil A

Vodafone locking

<whinge>

I've just ordered an SE Arc from Vodafone. In the shop I was told it was in stock, then after I'd done the paperwork they found it was out of stock but could get one delivered in 1-2 days. Now I find it's going to be 2 weeks, possibly, maybe more. Having read this article I now realise that it's just a clever way of stopping me playing with the phone...

</whinge>

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like