back to article Obama gets personal V-22 Osprey tiltrotor

President Obama's personal helicopter fleet will soon include the famous, controversial V-22 Osprey tiltrotor, according to reports. However it seems unlikely that the amazing plane-copter combo craft will land on the White House lawn very often. A V-22 Osprey coming in to land at the Pentagon. Credit: US Navy/Mass …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. stucs201

Are you sure thats just folding for storage?

Looks more like a decepticon in mid-transform to me.

2. Guy Dawson

V-22 safety record

Are they trying to kill the President by flying him in one of these?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Pint

Sadly not.

But we have come a long way from when the president was considered something of an arbiter of public affairs to today's Prussian-style unitary President complete with Military-Grade Führertransporter.

"We all adore Jefferson but we live in Hamilton's world"

Beer because we can Hail to that!

3. ravenviz Silver badge
    FAIL

Sense of proportion

"The present Sea Kings and Blackhawks are folded up and put into massive C-17 or C-5 transport planes which follow Air Force One"

...and people in Britain whinge at The Queen having her own train!

1. JimC

So Presidents are more expensive than Monarchs?

Who'd 'a' thought it? Except people who've studied history...

4. disgruntled yank

What?

The Secret Service must just love that notion.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Well perhaps they should try..

Instead of the AW101(nee EH101) Merlin perhaps they should try a VH-71 Kestrel instead >:oP

As for the RAF cargo variant only carrying 4 tonnes, is that right? what have they done to it? Specs sheet is for 5.1 Tonnes... (from max takeoff of 16.5 and empty 10.4)

A V22 is going to do wondrous things to those tourists standing at the white house lawn fence..

1. Sweep

....what have they done to it?

Fuelled it maybe?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

the leader of the free world ?

"the leader of the free world"

Isn't that one of those proclaimed titles typically used by Religous Cult Leaders and Insane Dictators?

(I'm not knocking Obama per se, just the whole Merkin concept that they are the leaders of the workd and that they are free!)

1. Eddy Ito
      Big Brother

For translation

See the latest version of Newspeak to English dictionary. It will all be quite clear.

2. Dave 15

of course they are free...

They are told they are free in every lesson through out their entire school career.

Not only that but they are of course the only democracy.

And the oldest one.

Of course the best.....

Do I sound cynical - I hope not :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

A Number of Words Title

What! No helicopter icons?

8. Greg J Preece

Love these things

Every time I look at one I can't help thinking of Ghost in the Shell. Makes me smile every time.

1. L.B
      Happy

Perhaps...

they will build him a Tachikoma to go with it.

For those who don't know what they are see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachikoma

1. Greg J Preece

I'd rather have a Fujikoma

All the firepower, none of the annoying voice. Though you do need pink squishies to pilot them.

9. Ally J
    FAIL

I didn't realise he was that unpopular....

It's a 1938 Luftwaffe design that keeps on killing American servicemen.

Why are they putting their Head of State in it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Shhhhh!

Just shut yer lil' whore mouth...

Those fancy helicopters are safe!

<giggle>

2. Dave 15

Better than...

Better than the alternative of using something made abroad.

Didn't realise the Germans had played with the idea, bet they just abandoned it as too stupid?

10. Tim 8

accident prone beginning..

There have been a number of aircraft with tragic periods during their development that later went on to have long periods of reliable service. The V22's complexity no doubt contributed, but it seems they may have a handle on that now.

1. asdf
      Flame

whole lot of pork on the line

Generally when an aircraft is demoed for politicians crashes and kills its first crew it get cancelled. However, with some Marine stubborness and lot of pork corruption the V-22 Albatross is here to stay. Isn't defense (offense right?) industry welfare a beautiful thing?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

It amazes me

That the American people put up with all this pomp and crap - I mean really does ONE MAN need all these helicopters and aircraft? How on earth do other countries leaders cope? God forbid they have to fly first class......

1. asdf
      Flame

can't be a Brit

>American people put up with all this pomp and crap

Simple, we learned it from the Brits who take it an order of magnitude further than we do with the Royals.

1. Dave 15

thats only...

To lure in the poor old tourists :)

Seems to work as well, really can't understand why anyone would visit London otherwise.

12. BoldMan

Fairey Rotodyne

What he really needs is a Fairey Rotodyne! THIS was the future when I was a lad!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9633v6U0wo

13. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

@So Presidents are more expensive than Monarchs?

Total cost of ownership - it's a matter of lifetime and replacement costs

A monarch can do you 60-70 years if they are painted regularly whereas a president you might have to upgrade every 4-5 years.

Then a presidential election can costs $Bn whereas to get a new monarch all you need is a rugby player and a bottle of Lambrusco.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Ah, you sir, owe me,,,,

... a new keyboard and a container of screen cleaner.

14. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Osprey engine exhaust + WH lawn

That will surely put paid to the First Lady's cabbage patch...

15. Joe User
    Grenade

Use a CH-47 Chinook

It's big enough to carry Obama _and_ his ego.

16. SkippyBing

Rolling Take Off

Err.. for the RN Merlin that's quite a good idea. Any helicopter will lift more with a rolling take off, or an in ground effect take off for those without wheels, designing one to be able to use that extra performance to carry more stuff makes it more useful.

Besides it's not like they fly around with a full warload that often, its not good for the torpedoes if you're not planning on using them anytime soon.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Next idea....

Hydrogen-filled rigid airship!! It can set down on the WH lawn and it's at least as safe as the "Let us pray" Osprey!!

Paris--because her acting career has been likened to the flight career of the Hindenburg....

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A V22 Arsespray as Marine One?!?!

Dumbest idea ever!

19. John Aislabie

Blackhawk?

Enquiring minds need to know - which Blackhawk model takes 24 seated troops or a medical staff and 16 stretchers that can come out of each Merlin?

The Blackhawk is not going anywhere with the Merlins underslung load of 5440 kg - at least no further than the end of the hoist line.

The Blackhawk is a very fine helicopter but this is silly.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh great

Now every tinpot arsebrain - sorry 'leader' - in the western world will want one. Hmmm second thoughts, maybe Ally J is onto something

21. Mips
    Jobs Horns

Don't bother cutting the grass...

.. we will just burn it of or blow it away.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like