back to article White iPhone 4 out by month's end

Apple's almost mythological, fully vapourous white iPhone 4 is merely a few weeks away from launch. You'll have to take the word of a trio of unofficial sources, cited by Bloomberg, for it - Apple itself has yet to announce availability. Apple's white iPhone 4 Last month, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller Tweeted that the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. It wasnt me
    Thumb Down

Really?

"Apple may see the white iPhone 4 as a way to prolong the current model's lifespan. "

Surely not even apple would be so cynical as to think that people waiting to upgrade their iphone 4 would be contented with just a change of case colour?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ It wasnt me

I suspect it is more likely that they are targeting iPhone 3/GS users than existing iPhone 4 users.

The iPhone 3GS was released just under 2 years ago so most of us are coming to the end of our 24 month lock-in period. Most iPhone 4 users will probably not be out of contract until about the time the 5 is released next year anyway.

Personally, when my contract expires, I am going to reduce my tariff to the lowest level that still gives me the usage I need and wait for either the iPhone 5 or a Droid that I want before upgrading. I think a lot of other people will have the same view, although it seems reasonable to assume that at least some people who were wavering about what to do will buy a white iPhone 4 who would not have bought one in black, for whatever reason.

2. Mike G
    Jobs Horns

Yawn

Adopts smug vocal tone quivering with jobsian metrosexuality, yet strangely high pitched through turtle necked throat compression:

" YO, dude! That's MAGICAL, this changes everything..AGAIN!!"

3. bdam
    FAIL

Will users still be blamed for holding it wrong?

Or has Apple fixed the, err alleged problem everyone else says it has regarding its antenna: http://stashbox.org/1059424/no-other-phone-sherlock.jpg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Change the record

I've got a Galaxy S and an iPhone 4 with me here, both on Three. Of the two, the iPhone actually gets the better signal (guesstimated based on the number of dropped calls and call clarity). No doubt I'll be dismissed as an Apple fanboy but there's no doubt in my mind that Antennagate was blown beyond all reasonable proportion and is being perpetuated by people who have an axe to grind rather than actual disgruntled iPhone owners.

1. Annihilator
        Thumb Down

re: Change the record

"No doubt I'll be dismissed as an Apple fanboy but there's no doubt in my mind that Antennagate was blown beyond all reasonable proportion"

Maybe you hold it correctly then. My natural grasp in my right hand had my pinky landing on the bridge between antennae. Every time, within 30 seconds, the signal would disappear. That's why I don't have one any more.

Maybe all phones have natural weaknesses when it comes to signal attenuation, but I've never seen one where just holding it in the wrong place completely destroys the signal. Maybe I should have held it differently, as arrogantly suggested by Jobs. Maybe I should have put a case on it, or a bit of nail varnish. I rather think though that maybe I should have correctly realised that a £600 bit of kit shouldn't require modding like that to perform its most fundamental function - receive a GSM signal.

Ironically, I could be called a fanboy though. I've fallen back to my 3G, and would look to a future iPhone as for the moment I haven't found a 'droid that I prefer yet.

4. Arctic fox
    IT Angle

For crying out loud.

This is just the kind of thing their marketing dept love. They get plenty of attention in the press for rather more relevant reasons without there being the slightest need to cover a bloody colour-change. What the hell does that have to do with IT? Apple's kit is often of interest for many here from the tech point of view - fair enough, I have absolutely no quarrel with that. However, I do think that feeding Cupertino because of the colour of the bloody thing is ridiculous.

5. TheOtherHobbbes
    Flame

Will there be beige?

Unlike Apple's new white-a-year-late designer tint, a beige iPhone would surely implode under the sagging weight of its own irony.

6. Tegne
    Jobs Horns

Finally Apple have found a way to make the Purest White?

They must have had their finest alchemists on the case for the last 12 months.

7. Anonymous IV

Oooooh! Excitement?

What Apple doesn't seem to realise that it has engendered copious quantities of iApathy.

In fact I'm too bored even to press Submit.

8. bazza Silver badge
    Alert

White...

...is so yesterday. Seen it, done it, bought the matt emulsion. Aubergine's the in colour, apparently. The 70s have returned!

Note however that the comments pages of The Reg are not likely to contain the soundest of fashion advice.

9. HMB

Upset Celebrities

Now everyone can pretend to be Stephen Fry.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like