back to article Earthquake emergency drives Kiwi copyright bill

The New Zealand government has outraged internet users by rushing through a new anti-P2P copyright bill under cover of an emergency session of Parliament. Parliament had been called to deal with the country's Christchurch earthquake. During the session, it also pushed through its file-sharing bill under an "urgency" motion. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. P Zero
    Pirate

Post anonymously?

How embarrassing.

2. A Corpse
    FAIL

Article URL

The URL for that article can be anything as long as the ID is correct.

EG http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/4882838/The-Register-was-here

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

shhhh

Shush now, no-one likes a know-it-all spoiling all the fun... ;)

3. Rattus Rattus

All this will do

is help raise the popularity of encrypted, anonymous P2P software. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

1. Steve Carr 1
      Megaphone

Bad law made by bad politicians

There is immense pressure being applied to introduce a "Free Trade Agreement" between the USA and New Zealand. As part of the negotiations, those who really hold the power in the US (not the politicians) are insisting that New Zealand implement just these sorts of draconian copyright protection mechanisms.

This will all end in tears, of course - and result in far from free trade!

One major lobby group on the US side is the pharma industry, who have fought for years to try and jack their prices waaaaay up here in New Zealand. On the side of the New Zealand consumer is Pharmac who has pushed the price of drugs for NZ consumers way down, mainly by sourcing, or threatening to source, generic drugs. For all their faults, Pharmac has done a good job - and here we go, further empowering the crazy over the top copyright and patent protection stance of US big business.

The current crop of NZ politicos are even worse than normal, and we the people will suffer for it.

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Shame on them

Using the cover of a major disaster involving untold human misery to hide their dirty schemes.

Oh wait, they're Politicians....

1. Msan
      Thumb Up

Couldn't agree more, and thinking out loud

some quote about not being happy till the last priest has been strangled with the entrails of the last politician comes to mind.

Memo to moderator - just to mind, not advocating anything, just venting. I think.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Groundhog day

Is it the first anniversary of the UK Digital Economy Bill already? Do they have a House of Lords in Kiwiland too? And do their Lords also take suitcases of cash to pass whatever law you ask them to pass?

When I'll be rich, I'll pay the Lords to pass a law that will require all motor vehicles to be pink. Not because I have a good reason for it, but just to assert my power. Being rich must be so much fun!

6. Tegne
    Terminator

P2P Causes Earthquakes?

I'm glad I use SSL newsgroups at least my downloads won't cause any easily traceable natural disasters.

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Abuse of democracy

I hope those greedy pigfuckers in Hollywood and the politicians that they own in NZ are happy. They have managed to corrupt the democratic process on the back of grieving New Zealanders and others that lost their relatives in Christchurch.

Just how low will some people stoop to make money. These bastards could limbo under a pole that's nailed to the floor.

(and if the Moderatrix passes this I shall be amazed)

8. Jand4l

CEO Paul Brislen

Does anyone know when Paul Brislen became CEO of TUANZ? I could have sworn he was the head of PR at Vodafone NZ.

1. Richard Chirgwin (Written by Reg staff)

Re: CEO Paul Brislen

His appointment was announced last October, but I think he actually started in the post in January.

http://tvnz.co.nz/business-news/vodafone-s-brislen-head-tuanz-3864873

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like