back to article NASA hangs bunting for shuttle anniversary

NASA is gearing up to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the first shuttle launch later today at Kennedy Space Center, and administrator Charles Bolden will take centre stage to announce just where the surviving orbiters will finally be put on public display. The festivities kick off at 17:00 GMT (13:00 EDT), and you can catch …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christoph

Not much further on

Twenty years from Gagarin we had the shuttle.

Thirty years from that ... we're retiring the shuttle, with no replacement in sight.

"Columbia was lost in 2003, seven years after the 1986 Challenger disaster."

Or seventeen years in decimal money.

2. GougedEye
    Grenade

Lets Hope

They don't go out with a bang!

3. Peter Clarke 1
    Thumb Up

Time flies ...

is it really 30 years? I remember managing to persuade our A-level physics teacher to let us watch the launch.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Cunning that.

Launch the shuttle on the anniversary of a Russian's first orbit of the Earth, then when the rest of the world says its the anniversary of the first space flight, America can tell itself and all its children "No it's not, it's the anniversary of the shuttle launch".

1. Anonymous John

Unplanned

A launch attempt on 10th April was scrubbed late in the countdown due to a minor computer issue.

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Thumb Up

For my sins...

I wrote the graphical countdown that BBC News used to illustrate the state of the launch of the first Shuttle. There was nothing in the system at the time that could do that sort of thing; I used a Microtan Tangerine with a 750kHz 6502 chip and 2kB of memory... *big* iron!

6. Gene Cash Silver badge
    FAIL

Once again

The Russians will be the only country able to put people in space, and the kicker is that NASA will be paying $63 million per Soyuz seat. Who "won" the space race, again?

Yeah, my country is a buncha losers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like