back to article Nintendo game roll-out pace plunges

A famine of first-party Nintendo Wii titles over the coming months means the Wii 2 release is imminent, it has been suggested. The shortage of forthcoming Wii titles is history repeating itself, according to Kotaku, which has looked into patterns of Nintendo's game releases over the last decade to see if there is a precedent. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GrumpyJoe
    Flame

I did like my Wii

but the kids have it now - not enough 'mature' games for me (and yes I played Metroid and Resident Evil 4). Main problem for me was - as soon as I bought a HDTV it looked like CRAP. Eventually got a PS3 to make the best of the tv it was attached to - I think Nintendo got their timing wrong on how many people would get flatscreens - hence looking crappy in an age of HD games.

Just my take - but if a Wii 2 was backwards compatible with older games - and upscaled them - I MAY be tempted back - but not with a catalogue of shovelware.

2. Craig Chambers
    WTF?

Upscaled them?

Not sure what magic you're expecting from your Wii 2, but your TV already upscales the current Wii image to fit the screen. Quite what a Wii 2 would do that's any different without a ton of dev work for each individual game I have no idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Upscale

I have mine connected via the original SCART lead to the 40" LCD TV. While it does "stretch" the picture (you go into settings and make sure it is set to widescreen), it is not HD gaming.

"your TV already upscales the current Wii image to fit the screen"

The image fits the screen yes. But then so does the Dreamcast and N64 coming through RF. That doesn't make them HD.

The Xbox 360 is connected to an HDMI lead for full stunning HD gaming. This is what is meant. Wii2 giving better HD graphics and sound, as the Wii "legacy" is just essentially a Gamecube with a motion controller. (Ever seen GT Pro Series for the Wii? MSR on the Dreamcast looks better!)

1. Craig Chambers
        Thumb Down

Umm

That was exactly my point. I never suggested that my TV scaling the image was HD gaming, and neither would playing a Wii game on a Wii 2 be HD gaming, in exactly the same way that PS One games look crap on my PS3.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dolphin is your friend

As the dolphin emulator already does a very good job of playing many existing Wii games at 1080p or above, I'm guessing a lot of the HD textures etc. are already there...

3. Steven Knox
      Boffin

Upscaling

Well basically, what the TV does ranges (depending on the quality of the TV) from stupid to semi-intelligent raster upscaling -- meaning they start with the final rendered two-dimensional image of so many lines and interpolate to a higher number of lines. The stupidest just do a basic blur-type interpolation; the smartest actually find edges and interpolate lines/curves, but still end up looking a little blurry.

What a console *could* do to a stock non-HD game with no HD textures, is semi-intelligent raster upscaling of textures coupled with a full-HD 3D rendering pipeline. This would produce something better than TV upscaling and akin to running a game on the PC at the highest screen resolution but lowest setting for texture size -- i.e, crisper object definition but somewhat blurry texture graphics.

As mentioned by a previous poster, at least the cross-platform games may actually have the HD textures available as well.

4. David Gosnell

Resolutions

Games already cope with a few different SD resolutions. It's not too big a jump to imagine that more recent games might have included some headroom in their bitmap graphics to allow for true HD rendering in future. Vector graphics may well "just work" anyway?

As I have argued before, it's quite possible for Wii 2 to be 100% compatible with the Wii, in both directions, and (given the market demographic) Nintendo will be making a huge mistake if they don't capitalise on that.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

winge winge title

Very few people realise that the Wii is fully compatible with Gamecube games and controllers. Handy for a cheap back catalogue of proper (ie. no waving or standing) games.

Hopefully Wii2 is backward compatible with Wii, GC and all of the Virtual Arcade games I have downloaded (including N64 games I used to own).

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Right on the money

I really love my Wii, but with this drought I've found myself playing more and more GC games I didn't have the chance to try when they first came out, and revisiting old (N64, SNES...) games via virtual console.

Not the ideal scenario, perhaps, but it gives a way to keep the Wii alive until (if?) new games arrive.

Hopefully Nintendo has used all the time and truckloads of money it got from the Wii to really polish the Wii2... In the meantime, I'll be playing MarioRPG and Metal Gear Solid

4. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Huh

The graph you linked shows the last drought was in 2002, with the Wii being released in 2006. Yet you claim that a drought right now means that a release is imminent?

If history is repeating itself, it means Wii 2 in... 2015/2016! That's not what I'd call "imminent" by a longshot.

5. Neoc

My biggest problem..?

...the sensor bar not being wide enough to read movements across my wide-screen TV. It's even more annoying if I play a shooter game and the targets/zombies/monsters/whatever are on the edge of the screen.

As far as I can figure out, about 1/8th of the screen isn't accessible on either side. And yes, I've tried moving further back... to the point where the sensor bar was no longer accurately sensing me anyway, so no point there.

Nintendo: kindly extend your sensor bar. Thank you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

sensor bar name misleading

The sensor bar isn't actually a sensor, it is actually just some IR LEDs. Some people have even used candles instead of the sensor bar!

For your problem, I assume you have checked the TV type and sensor bar position are definetly set right, as I have never had any issues with widescreen TVs.

1. Neoc

Sensor bar position

Yep, no problems with Up-Down movement, just the extreme left and right.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like