back to article Eminent iTrio EM7100 HDMI wireless video sender

The video senders of yesterday didn’t enjoy the best of reputations. Typically used to route the analogue feed of one VCR to a second TV at the other end of the house, they suffered all manner of RF interference. Even when you managed to align their directional antennas, ghostly gremlins would make for a second rate viewing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge
    Alert

£399?

For that price buy an HDTV and BD player.

Crazy...

Or for 1/10th of money run an HDMI cable.

5GHz through bricks? I don't think so.

1. Mark 65

Just about to say

I don't think 5GHz penetrates bricks very well - my 5GHz network only has a range of about 8m with nowt but a stud wall in the way (WNDR3700 for reference purposes). High speed across the room is about all I'd trust it for.

2. hEdly
    Thumb Down

no way

total fail if it can't send the digital audio

3. Tom 38
    FAIL

£399 to go 5 metres?

Whats the point? You could rent a masonry drill for around £50, put some nice little holes through the wall, and actually have decent quality video and audio.

Signals sent over HDMI just aren't made to be sent over anything other than HDMI - which supports a bandwidth of between 4-8 Gbps for 1080p video + audio. Re-encoding that to be sent over wifi (probable bandwidth: 50 Mbps), in real time, with no coding hints, will lead to worse artifacts than you get on your average illicit DVD (you wanna buy DVD?)

4. druck Silver badge
    Stop

No way either

As above, plus where's the HDMI pass through on the sender?

5. Stuart Halliday
    Thumb Up

hdmi swap out?

You swapped a HDMI 1.4 for a 1.3 unit and saw no diff? What did you expect?

Someone needs to read up on the HDMI spec. 1.4 means it's listed on a web site, that's all!

The biggest problem with AV senders is the infra-red side.

Most don't support IRDA which SKY and VM boxes use.

Some of the cheaper av boxes use 2.4GHz and the number of people who can't figure out how to change their wi-fi router box channel so the av box doesn't clash is a great many.

Maplin sells many types of AV senders. But only 2 work with SKY+ & VM boxes 100% because of the IRDA issues.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like