back to article The Register Guide to London's Silicon Roundabout Tech Startups

Prime Minister David Cameron hails them as the young, wealth-creating foundation of tomorrow's economy. But who are they? Here's El Reg's guide to the stars of London's vibrant tech startup scene - whose drive and energy is already ripping up the rules of government, and traditional profit-loss accounting methods. The Serial …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 4

Oo

I won't ask where you got those photos but more than one of them is going to keep me awake tonight. Brrr.

On a separate note, it dawned on me that April Fools day is in fact National Trolling Day, a chance for everyone to unleash their inner internet turdspurter.

1. Mike Flugennock
      Troll

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

Same here; took me a few minutes as well. See my comment a ways down the scroll. D'oh.

Troll icon, because the Reg doesn't have a Trololo Guy icon.

2. The Original Ash

I wondered when this was coming...

Bravo.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm getting old..

...I didn't realise until the 2nd page, what date it was today. :facepalm:

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Check out this fool...

... http://www.guide2bristol.com/news/1201/City-Council-announce-Bristol-to-become-UKs-first-Twitter-City

took me awhile to figgure out, it's hard to tell cause they are talking about a Council and let's face it they do stupid things on a daily basis.

5. Blofeld's Cat
    Coffee/keyboard

"Every block of code is a journey into the unknown"

I thought the UK Government IT guidelines were covered by the Official Secrets Act.

6. Matt 52
    Happy

Javascript Mystique

A fantastic idea; not checking the return value of javascript functions. We could call this new language construct a "procedure", and then extend the language so the parameters could be identified as as IN, OUT or IN OUT allowing control over whether or not the variable passed in as a parameter was read-only, write-only or read/write.

I think I'm going to extend javascript for these functions, and give it an up-to-the-minute name; how about "Modula-2.0"? ;)

7. Mike Flugennock
    WTF?

Darren Fearnley-Mitford

Oh, for... this is an April Fools' gag, right? Am I really expected to take this guy seriously? What's with the sideburns and that goddamn' hat? Is that a shot from his screen test for the next "Twilight" movie or something?

Hell, all these goddamn' doorknobs come off like they hijacked the TARDIS back to 1999, or something. Jeezus H. Bicycle-Riding CHRIST, man.

8. Mike Flugennock
    Pint

Waitaminnit...

April Fools' Day. Of course. Still, this being El Reg, you guys really had me going for a second.

Sorry, we just don't do sarcasm very well over here in the Colonies.

Pint of ale because... hell, it's only 9am here on the East Coast, and I already feel like I need one.

9. Lamont Cranston

Re: The Coder

Is that Alex Winter?

10. vincent himpe

Can't call it silicon roundadabout

since none of them produce any hardware or even design silicon.

Back to your bowler hats boys , and stiffen that upper lip.

11. Jack Prichard

Actually kind of sad...

That Nokia is now pretty much a joke these days.

I'm a Kiwi and we are not going have a tech start up which goes global any time soon and Finland is pretty much as far away from NZ as you get, but there was always a little bit of an emotional "take that big boys" when you bought one of there phones.

Now... well... yeah... and WP7 even seems unable to do updates...

My next phone isn't going to be a Nokia and I think he company now deserves all the jokes it get, burning platform indeed.

But it is a bit sad.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Misspelled name

Surely it should have been Ophelia Mimsy?

13. AdamWill

One missing...

Great article, but there's one key scenester mssing - Reg, the tireless (he's been seen before 3pm at least twice) journalist who shows up to every single TechCrunch-branded digital event and cleans out the free bar, then writes up one faux hard-hitting expose on all the other characters for every ten criticism-free puff pieces. (And takes all their advertising, of course.)

14. nickpelling
    Pirate

Errm... what about the other 90% of Shoreditch companies?

You know, that sell superfluous services to the 10% of Shoreditch companies that are genuine startups? Motto: "your failure is our success". Unsung heroes of the tech scene, every one of them.

This topic is closed for new posts.