back to article Sega Mega Drive gets micro makeover

Check this out: you can still buy new Sega Mega Drive consoles. These ones are a fraction of the size of the original and come with more than one built-in game. Relive those 16-bit days and dig out old Genesis cartridges from the storage box in the loft. They may need a good blow first, but it will be worth it. Megadrive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sampler

What about..

..my MegaCD (original, not 2) and 32X - does it support these, iirc the latter needs an aux connection on the rear of the unit whereas the former requires a massive connection on the bottom of the unit.

2. Dabooka
    Happy

All I need now...

is to find two Lethal Enforcer guns.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ahem...

And a CRT Telly!

2. Lee Dowling Silver badge

CRT

Wouldn't they only work with a CRT TV, not the modern LCD's?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The original can't be more than that.

I'll stick with my Mega Drive II complete with 60hz/full-screen toggle jutting out the side.

4. Greg J Preece

HMV have had something similar for ages

See title. Looks like an interesting piece of kit, but I still have my Mega Drive 2, 32x extension and all, so I haven't really investigated.

5. Richard 31
    Paris Hilton

HDMI

Why not put a HDMI connector on it? Also the MegaDrive had stereo sound! That thing only has one connector.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HDMI

Because then it wouldn't cost £35.

This product is hardly aimed at hardcore gamers, hungry for the highest quality possible. As with most things from Firebox (including remote control helicopters, Y-front styled hand gloves, Universal remote controls with integrated bottle openers and Wi-Fi bathroom weighing scales), it's for very single men with far too much disposable income!

They should do a special bundle offer of one of these with 3 bottles of cheap-brand Vodka. for £49.99; I'm sure they'd go down a storm with the target market.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because it's too much work.

This will more than likely be a clone of the megadrive (it may well be 'on a chip' but it'll still be a clone) therefore it's using the original graphics chip, which will be outputting in analogue rgb / composite. To get hdmi you'd either have to re-design the graphics chip so it natively outputs digital, or sit a hdmi upscaler after the analogue graphics chip (which is what is happening in your telly). Given the idea of these things is to keep the cost down, what's the point? Either way you'll just be upscaling crap. I'm not too convinced there would be much of an advantage over using RGB scart and letting the telly do the job.

3. Daniel Hall
      Joke

Fail

Just fail.

Why dont we all just start using tweeters as subwoofers...

6. David Given
    Stop

How's the sound?

This review from last year:

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/reviews/23131/

...claimed it had terrible sound emulation; does anyone know if this is a fixed version?

1. Si 1

Compatibility

These things tend to have compatibility issues with plenty of games. For example I've yet to see one of these that can run Contra Hard Corps without all sorts of scrolling glitches. They're usually alright running the built-in games (barring the usual minor sound, colour and timing inaccuracies) but with other games it's hit or miss depending on how well they've cloned the original hardware.

7. Mark C Casey

Pfft, no Mastersystem?

Meaningless without Wonderboy 3.

1. Daniel Hall
      Happy

erm, your missing my childhood fave...

Alex Kid in Miracle world!

8. Alex Walsh

A lot

of the other Megadrive clones out there, presumably with the same innards, have real problems with compatibility. These officially licensed? Otherwise you'd be better off on ebay or with an emulator imho.

9. thecresta
    Thumb Down

Avoid!

The sound is terrible! So bad I'm scared to turn it on.

The in-built games work fine, but cartridge-based games are poorly emulated (for some reason) and you will experience regular glitches - if they load at all!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Handheld

Got a similar item for Christmas, but a handheld.

Obviously can't load cartridges but has a tiny screen, and more games including Alex Kidd and Sonic 3.

11. Luke McCarthy

Why bother?

You can get an original for a lot less and ebay and it will have superior graphics and sound quality. It would be worth it only if they fixed the sound and provided digital video output (HDMI).

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's not a Mega Drive!

This is a Mega Drive:

http://www.savagereactor.co.uk/misc/amstrad_megapc/gallery.html

13. xperroni
    Dead Vulture

Nice, but quite pointless really

Nice hardware, but apart the videogame fetishism, what's the point of it?

You see, I have a Mega Drive emulator loaded to my Nintendo DS, and ROM's can be found on the interwebs by the bucketload. I can play virtually anything I want, wherever I want. What good an actual console would make?

I loved my MD, but the sad truth is, today it serves me better disembowed.

14. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Hmmm....

Bring back MD version of SS Lucifer, a superb platform puzzler by UK's Codemasters!

15. Goat Jam
    Thumb Up

Toe Jam and Earl

Best. Game. Ever.

16. Charlie 3
    Thumb Down

old

AtGames have been selling these for months (years?). I've seen some very poor reviews with video of slow running games and jittery audio to back them up.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all about...

...Landstalker. Nothing further need be said.

18. Graham Bartlett

"They may need a good blow first, but it will be worth it."

Isn't it always?

19. juice

Over on Ebay...

There's been a few variation on the handheld Megadrive consoles - aside from the standard one which has been floating around for a year or two, there's also a version which has twenty built-in games, six buttons (i.e. perfect for later games such as SF2) and an SD card slot. Sound emulation is poor and compatibilty looks to be a bit hit-and-miss, but it's quite cheap (£38 on Ebay).

It's a shame noone seems to have figured out to hack it - it runs on a generic 32-bit SoC, so in theory, you could boot up an OS on the machine and/or emulate other systems such as the ZX Spectrum...

(http://www.ereleases.com/pr/digital-media-cartridge-announces-new-32bit-technology-chip-for-lowcost-allinone-tv-game-market-5360)

20. BraynDedd
    Stop

Oh come on, these have existed since 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variations_of_the_Sega_Mega_Drive#Sega_Mega_Drive_3

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like