back to article iPad 2 tougher than iPad 1. True

The iPad 2 is more durable than its predecessor, at least as far as its glass face is concerned. The new model incorporates a much stronger, more flexible screen than the old one did. A team from repair shop iFixYouri ran the two tablets' glass display covers through punishing tests to see how much damage they could withstand …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just the glass...

Good to see the glass is much stronger. However, I think the circuit board inside would break long before the screen.

What's with the music ... is it because its sunny outside?

2. Tony Barnes

Is flexibility relevant...

...when it is impact damaged that will cause breaks?

I'm not actually certain as I type this, but I'd of preferred the test to be hammer based, as it would reflect real life damage

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

Are you suggesting

iPad users get so frustrated with their device that they take a hammer to it.

We live and learn

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Completely Backwards

The reason the new screen doesn't break is because it's thinner.

Because it's thinner the pad is less likely to survive the sort of point impacts typically expected.

The test carried out is simply unrepresentative of typical failure modes.

4. Steve X

Despite being 27 per cent thinner,

Shouldn't that be "because" it's 27% thinner?

Thinner glass flexes better.

5. NightFox

Phew

So if I bend my iPad 2 about 90 degrees, the screen won't break. Thanks for that.

6. jonathanb Silver badge

What happens

What happens if you drop it from about shoulder height on a hard floor? That's a more relevant test of durability.

1. Random Handle

@Jonathonb

>What happens if you drop it from about shoulder height on a hard floor?

Doesn't need to be shoulder height, 2 or 3 feet is enough.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBCpTRul5G0

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

F*** Sony

"This video contains content of Sony .. and is not available in your region"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real test...

Thats all good and well, but does it blend??

9. John Robson Silver badge
    Boffin

Erm...

That looked like they put alot more force into the iPad1 screen...

10. ratfox

Good commercial

For the repair shop, I mean. I assume that we will be able to see soon that it blends...

If they put more force on the iPad1 screen, it is because it is less flexible... The point being that they bended both over one inch, but only the iPad1 screen broke.

11. dssf

Is that good for dropping on the face, or flexing in overstuffed bags?

It isn't as if it will flex unduly in a back pocket. But, in a backpack or other over-stuffed bag, this might be good news for the screen. But, the back and internals may be in question. Wouldn't the mounts flex and snap if somehow the screen were flexed that much?

No consolation for the iPhone users. I've observed several with shattered glass in the corners on which the dropped phone hit. I've seen spiderwebbed cracks on one that was walked on by a 200# lady before my friend could grab it and before she could avoid stepping on his phone.

12. Adam T

Shame the rest doesn't bend :p

The screen might survive, but good luck with everything else inside the case...

13. Paul Chambers

Woah there, hoss....

Strength and flexibility are not synonymous.

If something of the same material is more flexible, it is likely to be less strong. Different materials may have different characteristics, but are likely to have different drawbacks. For example, ceramic is very strong, but very brittle, whereas polythene is very flexible, but not very strong.

A flexible thing may bend and distort components underneath, causing damage. In comparison a harder thing may transfer shock into the case chassis, rather than through the components.

Or not, it depends on the design.

It may be that by design the ipad is indeed more resilient to damage, but that is not borne out by the contention of the article, which is misleading at best.

Thinner thing made of stuff, bends less than thicker thing made of stuff, is pretty scant material on which to base an article.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like