back to article Hackers make off with TripAdvisor's membership list

Travel site TripAdvisor has warned subscribers to expect more spam following the theft of its member database. The travel review and information website said that an unspecified vulnerability allowed miscreants to make off with a portion of its email database. TripAdvisor does not collect members' credit card or financial …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Could Expedia, who owns TripAdvisor, have the same vulnerabilities?

Expedia, the web site that sells circuitous routes to your destinations, owns TripAdvisor and I was wondering if they shared software with similar security weaknesses.

If my memory serves me correctly, TripAdvisor is using someone's cloud services

2. TonkaToys
    WTF?

A pattern is emerging

Play...

TripAdvisor...

Shall I just post the websites that I am subscribed to, so the rest of you know which ones will be hit next?

1. Andrew Moore

I'm one ahead of you...

I'm a Chain Reaction Cycles customer too...

2. Alan Firminger

Don't need to

We all know that you are subscribed to The Register.

3. The Infamous Grouse

Pattern

You may be joking but in the last week I've had two phishing e-mails, the first to an address only ever used for Swiftcover motor insurance (of whom I stopped being a customer two years ago) and the second to an address only ever used to register/unlock freebie software from Ashampoo (and from whose mailing list I unsubscribed late last year).

If I were writing a novel, I might envision a scenario in which spammers with deep pockets approached individuals within companies and offered them substantial remuneration in exchange for lists of e-mail addresses. Especially those that belonged, for instance, to former customers who no longer represented a value to those companies.

But then I'm not writing a novel, and things like that never happen in the real world do they?

3. wilber
    FAIL

FAQs on Wikipedia?

Actually, the FAQ are at; http://www.tripadvisor.com/vpages/more_information.html

4. Dapprman
    FAIL

Hmm I've received no email from them

Yet I've been using Tripadvisor when away on holiday/work for a while now.

1. Dapprman

Finally got i

Got my reply yesterday afternoon

5. MrGutts
    FAIL

Still waiting on that E-Mail

Still waiting for them to send me that email..

1. Ivan Headache

Got mine

at 1659

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no email

same here, no notification at all. are they sending emails only to the ones who have been compromised? I don't think so.....

7. b-a-r-k-i-n-g-m-a-d
    FAIL

FFS

FFS - security I've heard of it!

8. Tigra 07
    Thumb Up

Lucky me

I have the TripAdvisor app on android so no email addy involved =]

Back of the net!

9. ttuk

eFinancialCareers too

A few weeks ago I got a mail from eFinancialCareers saying they had misplaced email addresses too and that I should change my password for them as a precaution.. not noticed any increase in spam though, maybe I was lucky

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. ianx

Contact Play customer support

If you contact their customer support team using the form on their site they can close your account, they replied to my mail in a few hours. There is no way to remove your card details and keep your account (at least none I could find)!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Jean-Luc
    Terminator

unexpected?

That's why I used a dummy gmail account, a la "bigStudYvr@gmail.com", when registering with them.

Yes, it is my account, but it only forwards things to my actual email. And I definitely expect spam in this account, which I never use to communicate with real people but which I use with every silly website that insists on an email registration.

Your email _is_ valuable, that's why you should not divulge it to loooosers like these.

12. Jay Clericus
    FAIL

no email from them

posted several comments to their site after finding american restaurants who are located in a utah town with the same name as a British one, eventually they took the hint

suspect the spammers will have a long way to go to beat the 722 spams on one day suggesting that I would really like a "gaining site" for beating the score in online games :)

also used play.com, but not had any phishing from that either :)

13. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Trip Advisor site rating

Beds: *****

View: *****

Security *

[getting coat, checking out...]

14. Jonathan Smith
    Happy

I got mine

Apparently I've won the lottery.

This topic is closed for new posts.