back to article Samsung intros 'skinnier than iPad 2' tablets

Samsung's newly introduced 8.9in Galaxy Tab tablet is a massive, unbelievable 0.5mm thinner than the iPad 2. Yes, the new Apple tablet is 8.9mm thick, while the as-yet-unreleased Samsung rival is 8.4mm front to back. Credit where it's due: Samsung deserves praise for for shaving off less than a millimetre of thickness to make …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It may only be a minuscule 0.5mm,

...but it's cost Apple's PR machine the "world's thinnest" accolade.

2. ThomH

Ummm, I don't think so

US iPad 2 entry price: $499. New Samsung 10.1 entry price: $499. The probability of the two not being identically priced here is pretty much zero.

3. Wang N Staines

I'll take 2

if at that price & has flash on it.

4. John Bond
    FAIL

"iPad to"

So when is the previously unheard of "iPad to" coming out? And what are the specs?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice but what will be the resell value

Nice and the kind of competition us consumers like. But 2 questions have to be asked.

1) How does android compare to apples IOS

2) What will be the resell value in a years time.

Personaly I think that with regards to the first question that the `openess` of android will make it more viable for people that can already use a computer to a reasonable degree. As for the second question I feel that in years time the iPad2 will hold more value at resell on ebay and the likes than the Android and this will be due to mostly two factors. One being that at the most thee will only be the iPad 3 to replace it unlike Andoid tablets that due to it's strength of openess also become's a weakness due to a unknown number of competiting models that will arise in the year. Also Apple products due to varoious factors have tend to hold there value more so than less reglated technology. Ok your mostly paying for the name but isn't that how fashion items sell. WIth that what applies best - technology deprecieation cycles of fashion cycles when it comes to Apple products.

I look forward to the hands-hands on review.

As for the thickness, whilst that is nice it is the weigh in a tablet that I find more important. I would also argue that how far it can be dropped and how it reacts to said drops being another area that often gets overlooked in reviews. But for understandable reasons (Not like Apple alor unbiased reporters that kind or level of reviewing).

As it stands I see the year paying out in general with a mix of consumers buying apples/androids dependant upon what store they walked into. Geek types mostly getting androids. Art types getting Apples and those who own blackberry's realy liking the playbook.

Me I'd like a tablet t be able to plug into my pc and be used as another screen ala USB, that is one feature I havn't seen and from my persepctive would add value/extra use to the device.

But remember no tablet will suit all - EVER, if that was going to be the case everybody would be driving the same car already for years and years. In technology, once you get the power you need it fall's down to the same area of fashionitism when it comes to selection.

1. Thom Sanders

Secondary display

not via USB but quick google found this for Windows: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/displaylink/id411678720?mt=8 . For Macs there is Air Display (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-display/id368158927?mt=8) and probably others.

Haven’t tried these as don’t have an iPad but seem useful…

2. BorkedAgain

Oddly enough, resell value has never been a factor for me...

...since I tend to use my gadgets to death, or pass them down to one of the kids. I suspect they'd be drooling over either form of tablet from arrival, the teen daughter (fashion-conscious and shallow) would KILL for an iPad, while the teen son (solder-burnt geek) would wet himself over the Android...

6. HMB
    Alert

I want Super AMOLED!

I want a Super AMOLED screen now damn it!!

I'm so impetulant :P

Impressively looking products! I have been tempted by iPad 1 prices recently, though the idea of being forced to install iTunes to my PC to keep my tablet up to date makes me queasy.

No doubt if an AMOLED screen does debut that some apple aficionados (see I'm being nice) will complain that AMOLED is too bright and too colourful and vibrant to give accurate colour rendering.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Impetulant?

Pardon?

2. Frank Bough

Well...

...they might well complain about the AMOLED screen's quality if they've ever seen a Galaxy's next to their iPhone's like I have. Hopelessly blue.

1. Adam-the-Kiwi
        WTF?

Hopelessly blue?

Really? I've compared my a friend's Galaxy S with both an iPhone (3GS and 4) and a Desire HD. Eye-wateringly intense colours, maybe, but definitely not "hopelessly blue". Is it some kind of scattering caused by the reality distortion field, perhaps?

1. chr0m4t1c

@Adam

Yes, really. It's just a result of the different ways the two technologies work. OLED screens tend to have a slightly blue cast to them whereas the iPhone's screen has a slight yellow cast - probably due to the manufacturing process rather than the LED technology it uses.

In practice, when you use one or the other for any period of time your eyes (or rather your brain's colour perception) adjust and you don't notice - just like you hardly notice the intense yellow cast on everything when you sit in a room lit by normal tungsten lights, but when you stick them side by side you can see the difference immediately.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

USD prices

I don't think you can go from USD to GBP prices just by adding tax...

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: USD Prices

No, it is much easier than that. You just change the currency symbol.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Finally...

It appears manufacturers are pulling their fingers out.

Might actually be worth getting one, in a good few months time of course.

9. DrXym

Wow, reasonable prices

Still not as cheap as tablets should be but a step in the right direction, especially for Samsung whose last effort was priced so high that it took the piss. Asus and Acer are up next with tablets shortly.

10. famousringo
    Thumb Up

Sounds good!

This might be the first tablet which is actually competitive with the iPad. Decent specs, svelt form factor, good price, and an OS designed for tablets (though reviews suggest honeycomb could use a point release to smooth things out).

I do feel sorry for the chumps who bought the original Galaxy Tab. You know that thing will never see an update.

1. HFoster

Maybe

But that's what the good people at XDA, et al, are for :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

bit couldnt they

Root the Samsung?

3. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Grenade

I thank you for your sympathy.

However, it is not needed. I still love my Galaxy Tab, and will continue to do so after it is superceded, whether or not I decide to replace it. Such is life in the world of gadgets, I knew exactly what the likely lifespan was when I bought it.

In fact, as per one of the previous posts, I will probably retire it down to one of my children, and replace it, although I think I will probably stick with the 7" form factor if something nice is released in that size. I'm liking the look of the 8.9" Samsung, though, that might be enough to sway me to one of the larger screen sizes.

Now, how about you go away and patronise someone else whilst the adults talk?

GJC

11. johnnymotel
    Go

"itunes...crappy...software"

guess that puts a hex on iPad.

12. ttuk
    Thumb Up

slowly coming around

I used to be very much anti tablets in general.. What is it for... why bother when you have a laptop etc..

But I'm gradually coming round to the idea.. a net book is all very well, but its more than I need when I just want to check a website quickly while sat on the sofa, or just have something to watch movies on a train journey (plus the battery sucks in this case) I could use my phone but the screen is very small..

If price can be got down to around the £250 mark then I may well give one a whirl.. Almost certainly not ipad though, I don't want to be locked in to apple

13. Sampler
    Coat

I'm surprised that..

..there not making a bigger selling point of the fact it hovers - clearly depicted in the gallery on the second page!

14. Adam T

yada yada

Still isn't a U-Shadow!

Does look nice - first time I've seen a 3rd party tablet that actually looks aesthetically pleasing.

Test will be performance though... it may be an astonishing 0.5mm thinner than iPad 2, but is it faster than an iPad 1?

15. Steve McPolin
    Coat

nice one.

A big bonus is you won't have to sit on a waiting list to get one; BestBuy will probably have bins of them available next week.

16. Robert Synnott

Bright

"some apple aficionados (see I'm being nice) will complain that AMOLED is too bright and too colourful and vibrant to give accurate colour rendering."

Bright?! While you can say many things about AMOLEDs, current ones are certainly not _bright_; lower light emission than all but the worst LCDs.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Pirate

Really?

Objectively, you are probably right. Subjectively, my AMOLED Galaxy S looks way brighter than any LCD that I've come across, including the iPhone 4, and doubly so outdoors in natural light. And with screens, subjective wins over objective every time.

GJC

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd buy one...

...if it genuinely could levitate like in the second picture on the gallery page.

1. Paul_Murphy
      Joke

Its not levitating..

That's the cooling fans doing that.

ttfn

18. Steven Raith
    Thumb Up

Interesting

Well priced, chunky (spec wise) hardware, looks decently designed. I've yet to fiddle with a Honeycomb device but it sounds promising.

I think the tablet wars are truly about to begin. Hurrah!

Steven R

19. HollyHopDrive
    Coat

If it...

If it gets discounted to around the £300 as much as it doesn't matter, then at that kind of price I'll certainly get one. I was just about to replace my netbook but this has made me pause and think......

Mind you, samsung aren't exactly known for their firmware updates are they? so that may be the fly in the ointment.

No way I'm going to ever buy an ipad because

a) It just sings "I'm a twat and a sheep with more money than sense"

b) It just encourages steve jobs to keep acting like a twat and claiming everything is his and that he's brilliant (he's not btw).

c) I'd have to use that stupid stupid itunes with an interface so stupid a room full of monkeys who'd had their brains removed couldn't have invented anything that bad.

Mines the one with £300 in the pocket burning a hole.....

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

the question is...

What display this slab will use. If it's IPS, or better yet, AMOLED - it's a pure winner, i'll take two please. If a crappy TN panel with viewing angle of 10 degrees horizontal - FAIL.

There's still nothing in my pockets... yet.

21. Gordon 10

2 models?

Seems dangerously confusing for the public to have an 8.9 and a 10.1 tab.

Good on them on pricing thought - although as others have said I would expect it to match the US conversion.

22. Alex McKenna

My Ideal Dream-Pad

My own mock-up Dream-Pad is even thinner, weighs virtually nothing, runs at an incredible speed, for days, and will cost about £5. It can fold up to fit in your pocket. It will be open to anyone who can write Apps for it. Obviously it is made of cardboard, and the OS is all in my imagination, inspired by various TV series about aliens, but is just as operational as the Samsungs in the pictures.

This may be my last message, cos I'll be put away in a home fairly soon.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

sounds like

you want to buy a notebook. As in the type that's full of paper.

Or perhaps an Etch-A-Sketch.

Never underestimate the power of the human mind. It's still the best, fastest computer out there...

23. RichyS

8.9 and 10.1

The screen sizes seem pointlessly similar to me. I was hoping that the 8.9 would be basically the same as the 10.1, but with a sensible 4:3 aspect ration rather than a pointless 16:9 or 16:10 aspect.

I also worry that all these Honeycomb tablets seem to focus on being used in landscape mode. This is really not the way to use a tablet (having said that, using 16:9 in portrait is like reading a website on a scroll).

Anyway, this Sammy looks like the first credible Android hardware. Now, if Google could just sort out the rough edges on Honeycomb before the June/July launch of the devices, Sammy may have a winner.

Motorola must be shitting themselves though...

24. Sandy Ritchie

MEH

I'm so glad I bought a 7" Galaxy Tab..... d'oh!

Still it meets my needs, and I've got a future upgrade path I guess with the 8.9 and 10.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Happy

I'm still glad I bought a 7" Galaxy Tab

Much better for travelling, and it was available last year, when I had the money to spend. If you constantly worry about what's coming next, you'll never buy anything.

GJC

25. jamie 5

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

You missed the but about how the 10.1 will be out in JUNE, and the 8.9 at some unspecified time "in the summer".

26. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

No 7" model...

... that's a mistake.

As tablets gain better penetration into mainstream markets, so businesses will find more and more use for them, take the example of the POS system reported here on El' Reg this week. One of the biggest advantages of the original 7" Tab is that it fits perfectly into the inside pocket of a suit jacket. 8.9" and 10.1" ain't going to do that, and will become yet another gadget left lying around on the desk/table/side, or in the car.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: No 7" model...

Samsung tried it... didn't work out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Development takes time.

Yeah of course it didn't.

What's this retailer holding ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12788084

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Linux

Didn't work out?

They sold three million, plus or minus a few hundred thousand left in the channel (which, by the way, are popping up on eBay at really bargain prices currently).

That's the kind of failure I'd like to have.

GJC

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like