back to article I floated a site into the cloud, and it didn't rain down in chunks...

The "cloud" is still somewhat in its novelty phase as with virtualisation and (say) XML of yesteryear, when simply waving them at an application would magically make all your troubles drop away, like sessions on a crashing web server. All of these technologies do have their value, just not as panacea. For example, in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joe Harrison

Those 3 cents could get expensive

I would very much like to do this kind of experimentation on their free cloud but it's exactly these considerations that put me off. If you can spend 3 cents just doing Hello World then any real work could get expensive very fast! Or what if 4chan takes a dislike to me and sends me a few gig per second for a day or two.

1. teknopaul

hear hear

The lack of a spending cap was a Showstopper for me too. What happens if you write a infinite loop in the cloud?

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Useful article! Because so many of us develop sites using Java

Oh wait, we don't.

1. Mark 125

What planet?

Having worked on a number of e-comm websites for high street retail customers, I can say they ALL used Java at some point and all of them could look at using the cloud (in fact I did a little POC using amazon at the last one, though using their S3 service.)

So yeah lots of us produce web sites that people want/need/use in java.

3. damon-fanclub

wut?

tl;dr: Amazon fanboi.

Damon: As a special favour to your colleagues would you please consider bathing in the near future?

4. Jason 23
    Grenade

hmmm

@AC

Dickhead.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

nah

troll, more likely

1. Getter lvl70 Druid

meh...

Same difference....

5. Robin Szemeti

Java?

Some time since I've seen much serious web development done in Java, but iy must be useful to someone I suppose.

The CDN is much more useful, if you have a static site, you can deploy it directly to the CDN with no other messing about. Once its onthe Cloudfront CDN, you can pretty much just leave AWS to get on with it.

6. gregoryg1
    FAIL

What Iv'e seen

is due to cost per cpu cycle, many commercial *cloud* hosted sites are vastly restricting SSL usage and not implementing it where they should as well as not handling session management appropriately when they should, and clueless users are sending the keys to the kingdom over unencrypted sessions - ripe for snatching with FireSheep among other ways.

1. Getter lvl70 Druid
      Pirate

Heh...

...another reason I recommend that my clients to use https: for those many, many Facebook users that can't seem to stay off the damn thing during work hours.

Part of my evil .plan to bankrupt Facebook, one penny at a time.

:)

While I do profit from the crapola Facebook exposes users to, I'd rather be doing useful things, ya know?

7. thecakeis(not)alie

Excellent Article

Thank you!

8. The Dodoman

Not suitable for all...

I've got 32 serial ports to map and other telemetry attached to my web app...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like