back to article Teen charged for Facebook birthday hoax that drew 200,000

Australian police arrested a Sydney teenager and accused him of posting an invitation to Facebook that generated 200,000 positive replies to a girl's 16th birthday party. The unnamed 17-year-old was arrested on Tuesday when police visited his home, The Sydney Morning Herald reported. He was charged with using the internet to “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cameron Colley

Wow, even more bollocks from Australian courts.

If you respond to an advert from someone unknown to you and don't check it out you're a twat and, if you form part of a shower of such, you should be charged with fuckwittery.

Dumb fucking bitch must be creaming his pants at this confirmation that anything his inferiority conplex-inspired shitefest has become a legal medium of address.

1. JCL

title

You going for some sort of a record then?

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

so...

...Can any of you guys figure out what that dude was actually trying to say? He makes aManfromMars look like Thomas Jefferson.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: Wow, even more bollocks from Australian courts.

Congratulations, that was the least coherent post since am*nfr*mm*rs and his rambling turdspurts.

You're clearly very cross about something, and have a pre-existing agenda. It would actually be interesting to know what it is, once you calm down- as it is clearly bothering you.

2. Havin_it
    Pint

So...

When's the party?

Nah, I don't need the address, I'll just follow the sound of sirens and popping teargas launchers.

From Scotland.

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

must be because I'm a Merkin

but why is it illegal to create a fake account on a private, non-governmental computer system?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RTFA much?

Harassment.

4. Terry 6 Silver badge

Harrassment

let's get this straight.

He purported to be someone else.

He then invited the world to a party at his victim's home.

So there's fraud and harrassment.

It's no less harrassment than, say, ordering strings of deliveries of pizza etc would be.

And using Facebook makes it a bigger scale crime

5. dssf

Hmmm, she might meet her future

- husband, or wife or boy friend or girlfriend, or

- doctor

- shoe repairer

- and more

Imagine if she requested $1 from each to cover for costs, then, if lucky, 10% might reply. That could be $20,000. Even if only 4% replied, then mabye $16,000, depending on the average "take".

Does fb allow us to set up a "please, just this once this year donate between 50 cents and $4 to me. I won't bother you again for 3 years"? app?

6. MistoRoboto
    FAIL

Nothing new here...

Something like that was done on MySpace a long time ago. Not really original, but it looks like the kid didn't have the sense to cover his tracks. What a moron.

7. Nick Galloway

Social benefit?

So FaceBook and such sites are the saviour of the repressed peoples of the Middle East and Northern Africa?

Or is it just a very nice medium to cause social chaos, such as is the case in this instance. Let's all go back to email and allow the Zuckerberg's of this world to fade into being a historical footnote.

8. Big-nosed Pengie
    Headmaster

Invitation goes viral

I fixed that for you. "Invite" is a verb; "invitation" is a noun.

1. David Cantrell
      Boffin

Pointless title, which must contain letters and/or digits.

And when it "went viral" did it shrink to being a few tens of nm across in a protein coating and infect people with a rotten cold?

2. Seanmon

Re: "invite"

That annoys the f*ck out of me too.

9. LaeMing
    Troll

Hmmmm.

We should set up a fake account with a party invite, address at an uncovered mine-shaft. Just in the interests of the human gene pool, you know.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oops...

This harrasssment may prove costly.

11. Number6

Birthdays

You shouldn't give FB your real birthday anyway. While it's used as a form of ID in many parts of the world, it's too important to be casually left around in such places.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like