back to article RIM tells users of bloodied BlackBerry to disable JavaScript

Research in Motion has suggested BlackBerry users disable JavaScript to protect themselves against a critical vulnerability that allows attackers to remotely execute malicious code and access confidential data stored on the phone. Monday's unusual recommendation came four days after contestants in an annual hacking competition …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DrXym

Diminished browser experience

It's practically impossible to use the web without JS enabled. Blackberry should just say use sites you trust or don't browse at all for all the difference this advice makes.

2. jai

better advice

Better advice for their customers would be "if you wish to browse the web, get a better phone with either Android or iOS"

3. L1feless

@Jai

Hardly a better alternative. iOS was hacked with even greater data exposure. I am certain similar bugs exist for Android.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

iOS Pwn2Own exploit

I thought it was solved by ASLR in 4.3; meaning Apple's solution is better than RIM's. Also, I think the Android hacker informed Google before the contest and they plugged the Android hole, too. There are almost certainly cool, as-yet-unexploited bugs in both Android and iOS, but I'd agree that a Googasm or Fanboi is better off than a RIM user at the moment.

1. Aaron Guilmette

It may be patched, but...

It'll be months or years (if ever) it gets resolved on handsets. The updates need to flow to the carriers, who will make them available for those willing to seek them out.

4. Chris 211

This doesnt make choosing a phone/os any easier.

I am at the point of leaving my Noka e71 which has been fantastic but I cant find a secure alternative, blackberry gets hacked out of the box, android will suffer the same security problems plus doesn't sync to outlook out of the box.

1. Ilgaz

Using Nokia's browser?

Use Opera Mobile, UC Web or even Opera Mini. Nokia's browser is only good for handset autodetection at the download sites. On E71 here too, typing this message via Opera Mobile.

5. Ilgaz

I got a better solution

Use/Install Opera until RIM releases a security update. Browse w/o javascript is really kind of impossible these days.

BTW other browsers may exist but as a Symbian user, I only know Opera browser's availability for BB.

6. Goldberg
    WTF?

wtf

Are you people retartet or what ? I mean like wtf, it clearly says that the exploit is not in the RIM's browser, it just need JS to funcktion. So using Opera ( lol 1995 much ? ) with JS enabled is the same risk.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

rtfa

Integer overflow in the *WebKit* browser.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like