back to article Anonymous collective begins leaking Bank of America emails

Hackers affiliated with Anonymous have begun releasing emails that claim to show evidence of misconduct at Bank of America (BofA). The documents released so far suggest workers at BoA subsidiary Balboa Insurance were planning to get rid of potentially sensitive documents referring to loans, without explaining why. More …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wallyb132
    WTF?

I can imagine

I can imagine that BofA does in fact have plenty to worry about... I'll bet this is a saving the best for last type situation, i may be wrong, but i dont think they would have made such a big hype over this if they had nothing to release...

1. Douglas Lowe

Hype

There have been cases of leaked emails before now which have been hyped up like mad, but have contained nothing but innuendo and a few ill-advised phrases.

What excites the public isn't the same as evidence which would stand up in a court of law.

2. wub
    Go

Follow the Money!

I may be reading too much into this, but doesn't the article say that B of A hired HBGary to discredit WikiLeaks before their emails could be leaked? Why should the Bank pay good money to hobble the release of boring email? After all, they wrote said emails, and presumably know more than we do (at this point) about what they contain. It would be too bad if the original trove is missing the really juicy ones, but I think B of A already showed us there is something worth finding. I say, Keep Going!

3. ratfox
    WTF?

Huh? What of WikiLeaks?

I thought that WikiLeaks was able to somewhat function without Assange... Why aren't they releasing the info? Lost the password to the web site??

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

er

"HBGary had been hired by BofA to plan a disinformation campaign against WikiLeaks ahead of the expected released of damaging documents"

As they'd hardly pay HBGary to discredit WikiLeaks if they had nothing to worry about, I'd say there is more to come...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So who else has had their employer block wikileaks?

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference - information can get out in so many ways....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

@who else has....

f' all to do with supressing information, more to do with you wasting time...Not like reg forums that are errrr....technical discussion yes, that's it.

6. Andrew 99

rotten to the core

if the irish nationwide building society is anything to go by, it seems a lot of the banking crowd are rotten to the core.

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/the-fingleton-files-55085.html

7. iZmOliGy

These aren't the same email that Wikileaks has.

"Julian Assange, has been otherwise engaged over recent weeks, so it has fallen to hackers affiliated with Anonymous to release the documents, published through links advertised in a new Twitter account"

If you read the communications with the ex BoA employee, you'd see that the releases by Anonymous aren't the same email that Wikileaks claim to have.

There is more to come, if Wikileaks finally get around to releasing what they do have.

1. ratfox

Thanks for the explanation

Looking forward to see what Wikileaks has.

8. stranger
    Troll

but can the leaked information be used?

there is no way of knowing if the information is true or not. The bank will defiantly not admit if the information is true or not. The only thing that can happen is that the (in)justice system will try to use this information.

But can the (in)justice system _real_ use it? Just because Anonymous said that it is true doesn't guarantee that it is! So how can the (in)justice system make use of this information?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Please censor in the UK (so it gets printed)

Bank of America ? Just add it to the list...

A deliberately orchestrated massive accounting black hole in the world economy originating entirely within the American banking system and successfully rolled out around the globe using a subtle viral deployment vector called "MindlessGrasping-GREED2.0"; reducing local services, personal wealth and individual security whilst promoting worse work and living conditions, unemployment, child undernourishment, hightened states of anxiety, a society bathed in additional emotional stress, raised levels of fear, desperation and a gentle sprinkling of suicides.

Why then might I feel that the Banking sector has not, as yet, paid in full?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah?

Where were you before the banking crash, were you complaining about the greed then? I don't recall many, if any, people who now bang on about banks all the time even giving it a second thought back then.

If you had a sub prime mortgage, loan, a credit card that you had borrowed to much on, multiple CCs or were happy for your pension fund to make money from the banking sector, be very clear - You were also part of the problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

yeah !

Living life in the black, paying rent and utility bills as they become due, spending on luxury items only with my disposable income. Owing no-one, spare cash in bank, no debt... nothing on credit cards.

So yes - I am most definately feeling righteously furious because I most certainly was not any part of this badly staged fiasco and yet, along with the impatient and the greedy, I am saddled with a future living in a third-world economy.

2. Thrudd
        Coat

Almost had me there

But I just checked my RRSP portfolio and there are Banks in the.

Then again I, like a majority of my neighbors complain about the high costs of Banking.

The only good thing to say is the Canadian Banks only got a few fingers burned with that whole US created fiasco.

Thank our banking laws that prevented such idiocy. Unfortunately the banks are getting into insurance and some other areas that will get them into trouble while fleecing the general public.

Pockets icon since that's what the Banks effectively do.

10. Charles E

Good data but little of it

I was expecting a much larger leak. But I did read all of it and it does seem to show management orders for illegal record erasing to hide further unknown shenanigans. A lot of it is emails from the leaker who got raided by the police and is under intense pressure from the bank. I think there's more coming, the guy says he's keeping more evidence, but no sense playing your ace in the hole early in the game. There is so much illegal flim flam in the financial industry that goes unpunished, it's hard to believe they would go to the trouble to cover something up unless it was pretty serious. Where there's smoke there's fire?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like