back to article Customers clobber Clearwire as execs jump ship

American “4G*” wireless carrier Clearwire has been hit with a customer class action over speeds that don’t meet its marketing, and over the weekend, found three new empty offices in the “C-suite” with the departure of its CEO Bill Morrow. Chief commercial officer Mike Sievert, and CIO Kevin Hart, also announced their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge
    Badgers

The bigger the Hype

The more people are let down.

If these Mobile Wireless Internet Services are realistically sold there isn't a problem. The problem is pretending it's Broadband. Unless nearly every street has LTE or Mobile WiMax, it won't be Broadband.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Could it happen in the UK?

I mean customers (gasp) *suing* companies over what they expected to get.

Throttling is well known already.

The idea of it being a Ponzi (pyramid) scheme is interesting.

Business uses revenue from current sales to finance growth in capability to suppy.

IIRC isn't that how Apple started their funding? Issue an arrest warrant for Steve Wozniak?

Overall Thumbs up. Suppliers should stop offering stuff they can't *deliver*

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

I'm so ashamed

Apparently I've been behaving like some sort of foreigner instead of a red-blooded, lawsuit craving American. Twice in the last two months I've had calls from Verizon to upgrade my CDMA modem to their shiny 4G. Instead of a lawsuit I simply said, Huh?

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Yes, the free market

will always regulate itself!

5. PJ 3
    Grenade

They Knew It Was Lies

I have talked to several people that have worked at Clear and the story was always the same. The place was a mess from stem to stern. Misplacing massive amounts of infrastructure hardware to lying about coverage to bullshag about speeds. It was a scam from day 1 and stayed that way and they all knew it. The biggest losers are the ones that sunk huge bucks into the thing. The Accounts Payable is massive and when this blows up, vendors won't get their money.

When this thing was first announced, Cramer said it was being run by "the great man, Craig McCaw" . In this case he is the "great swindler Craig McCaw". And Cramer is still a moron.

6. Doug Glass
    Go

Sp? What's your point?

People who actually believe marketing hype deserve to be disappointed...and generally are. Whatever the claim, never expect greater than 75-80% delivery. That way you'll be pi$$ed but not disappointed and pi$$ed.

7. John-Mark Gurney
    FAIL

then the international standards change

"*Whether any service today warrants the label “4G” depends on whether marketing labels carry more weight than international standards. ®"

Of course, what about when the international standards change?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/22/4g_itu/

So, I'd say neither carry much weight.

This topic is closed for new posts.