back to article Lords vote for electronic devices in their chambers

The Upper House yesterday took its first trembling steps into the 21st century, by agreeing to allow the use of electronic devices in the Lords – but only so long as they are hand-held and don’t make nasty clicking noises! Lord Brabazon of Tara kicked off debate by introducing a paper from the Administration and Works …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They probably should...

... avail themselves of a means to easily share (snippets of) information such obtained, including with those without device. Of course it should be "open" in the sense that this service would be useful and usable with just about every device.

How? Well, I'm sure everybody here has an opinion on that.

2. system

Googling facts

Fact checking? Oh, the horror!

3. Tron Silver badge

The House of Lords, aka Shady Pines.

It's hilarious until you realise that these doddering imbeciles are in a position of political authority.

They'll never find 'Silent Mode' on their Windows 3.1 laptops.

1. Number6

Not all bad

Some of them are quite good with electronic devices and the modern world. I think the rest are afraid that they'd be shown up by those who do know how to do a Google search to check on facts.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge
        Big Brother

Indeed

The House of Lords bought a Sun 4 in the late '80s because they were were impressed by and wanted to use its capabilities to look for differences in documents. (sdiff maybe?).

4. Scott Broukell
    Paris Hilton

Paris ....

cos she likes electronic devices in her chambers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Paris cos" jokes don't get old...

... anymore, we now reached a point where paleontologists consider digging out their skeletal remains.

1. Scott Broukell

I know, I know .....

it's cheap, but hey, it's Friday and I'm feeling cheap too :-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much more choice

Instead of having to sleep during house sessions, they'll now be able to listen to music, play games, surf the internet... Well, if they can get a high score at a video game, I guess I'll feel like my tax money is better spent.

Cynical? Read again:

"Members should be able to use electronic devices, in silent mode, FOR ANY PURPOSE NOT RELATED TO THE PROCEEDINGS before the House or Grand Committee, provided they do not distract other Members".

See, it's written black on white. They get points for being honest about it at least.

1. Code Monkey

For any purpose not related to the proceedings

We're talking Angry Birds here aren't we?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

No clicking

Not surprising - Lord Brabazon has always had a thing against mice, apparently! :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivon_Moore-Brabazon,_3rd_Baron_Brabazon_of_Tara

7. dogged
    Grenade

the trouble with googling

is the high possibility of Wikipedia being cited in the Lords. Frankly, the most senile and doddering of the Lords is probably better-informed than that.

8. Graham Marsden
    Coat

From Not the Nine o'Clock News...

Counsel: This receipt is for the digital watch...

Judge: ...a digital watch? What on earth is a "digital watch"?

Counsel: Sorry m'lud. A digital watch is a watch worked by microelectronics.

Judge: Oh! How fascinating. Proceed.

Counsel: The next receipt is for an automatic video recorder...

Judge: ..."automatic video recorder"?

Counsel: Yes, I'm sorry m'lud. It's a machine that records television programmes on special tape.

Judge: Oh, how fascinating. What will they think of next? Proceed.

Counsel: Thank you m'lud. And finally, a receipt for a "deluxe model inflatable woman", whatever that is.

Judge: The Deluxe is the one with the real hair...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

21st Century in House of Lords???

The Lords are so old the wont know how to use these devices.

They will need to employ Personal Assistants to use them.

10. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

At first, I thought the ban on peers doing research in the chamber, during a debate, was daft.

Then I realised that, really, in debates about the law, you really do need to make sure your facts are correct. And just quoting the first page you find on the 'net that has your point of view does not make it valid & correct.

11. Chris Evans

The article begs the question..

What is the House of Commons policy on electronic devices in their chamber?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If ever proof were needed

...that these silly old men have NO IDEA and that the government / house of lords is outdated, there you are.

Get rid of the money grabbing, stupid, dirty ole men!

Even cameron STINKS, I can smell him from here.

13. Dale 3
    Coat

I for one...

... welcome our new 21st century OverLords.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like