back to article iDect iHome Android phone

As well as smartphones and tablets Google’s Android operating system has started cropping up in media players, ski goggles, car stereos and even headphones, so it’s perhaps not too surprising that it’s now turned up in the humble landline home phone. iDECT iHome phone Powered by Android, built by Binatone: the iDect iHome …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. CD001

iDect

iDect/Binatone - look shiny but, as I've previously found to my cost, the build quality is shite; had an iDect once that wasn't particularly cheap and looked fairly awesome (oki, for a landline phone) ... after about a month you had to dock it into the cradle _just_ right or it wouldn't charge - eventually resorting to bits of broken matchstick or folded paper to try and get the angle right before thinking "you know what, this is a joke" and forking out for a cheap, ugly Panasonic instead ... which has worked perfectly ever since.

So the rule of thumb, I guess, is - if it says Binatone avoid it like the plague.

2. Mark Serlin
    FAIL

Binatone

that says it all.

A "pucker" handset? You kiss it if you want to....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Cool concept - hope it takes off

Would be better if it were a more capable softphone, but I'd imagine you could still use it with certain VOIP solutions the same way you would a normal cordless so maybe that's not a complete loss.

The big question to me is if this is consistent with this mfr's prior build standards (i.e. crappy) to the point where the homebrew folks won't touch it. If it does catch on with the homebrew scene and isn't complete crap, this could turn into a pretty cool widget.

I'm not getting my hopes up on this one so much, but if the concept is sound and catches on with other mfrs then we might see a renaissance of the home phone. Not sure about the rest of you guys, but my house has been cell/softphone-only for the last 7 years.

4. Tim Jenkins

"condoms and snow chains"

Kinky ; )

5. BorkedAgain

Right...

Sweepstake on the arrival of the first Android-powered toilet-roll holder?

6. ZillaOfManilla
    FAIL

Why not get it official Google approval?

That would make it so much more useful.

7. stucs201
    FAIL

Finger presses register correctly 9 times out of 10?

So dialing or programming a normal length area code + phone number is typically going to result in a wrong number due to one of the digits being misregistered. Thats not going to be at all annoying is it?

1. handle

Erm...

I read that as being for the QWERTY keyboard, rather than the numeric keypad actually used to dial telephone numbers.

8. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Siemens Gigaset IP thanks

The article says 21st Century, but doesn't support VOIP. You say that you can have other handsets, because it is dect, but that only works if it is also GAP compatible. Is it?

Personally, I have the Siemens Gigaset IP. Up to 6 handsets (including Dect headsets or door remote as "handsets"). The system can have 1 fixed-line call and 3 VOIP calls simultaneously (or with ISDN 2 fixed-line calls), and supports up to 6 SIP profiles. Oh and internal calls too.

Because the VOIP works over low-power Dect instead of high-power WiFi, the batteries last longer. The system has simple dialing rules (auto fixed-line or 1 of theVOIP providers), a single common answerphone service that all handsets can access and basic weather / email / ebay notifications.

It's not as pretty, but as a working phone I'd rate it higher, and is yours for half the price of this, and is from Siemens a recognised quality brand.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

"Siemens a recognised quality brand"

Don't say that to anyone whose IT provisioning has been outsourced to them...

I am certainly impressed with the non-VOIP Siemens DECT phones, of which I have a couple.

9. caffeine addict

Binatone

I used to know someone who worked for Binatone in their R&D department. His opinion was that if you could get your hands on a preproduction model then you had something indestructible and really rather wonderful, but that if you went to a shop and bought a Binatone product then you were in for a world of disappointment and frustration. Some of the toys he had were fantastic.

If one of the big names can knock out one of these with a resistive screen (worked well enough for finger dialing on my old HTC Diamond), Android 2.0+, gmail contacts and four handsets for under £200, I'll be first in line.

Until then... meh...

10. JDX Gold badge

re:Why not get it official Google approval?

Doesn't it have to work as a mobile phone for that?

Anyway, isn't the humble land-line phone slowly becoming obsolete?

11. The Indomitable Gall

OK, so....

This is also a wireless hub? No? Why not?

There's no point in convergence if you still need two devices!!!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It says Binatone

Cannot possibly be good quality. You only have to read Alan Sugar's biography to know that both Amstrad and Binatone were pile it high, sell it cheap merchants. His writing about Gulu Lalvani (who owns Binatone) is interesting, and sort-of confirms what most people think about Binatone.

The phrase, I think, is 'You can't polish a turd'. They create hundreds of brand names like iDect, Ministry of Sound and so-forth. Sadly, some of the BT branded cordless phones are also made by Binatone, although some are also made by Siemens (you can see which ones because the Siemens ones have the Siemens logo on them alongside the BT one). Binatone kit looks really good, but unfortunately most of us have been decieved by the shiny appearance and disappointed by quite how crap the build quality is of the stuff. Even Chinese sweat shops wouldn't turn out stuff quite this badly made, which breaks within weeks.

As others have said - I always stick to quality brand names like Panasonic and Motorola.

1. Mark61
      FAIL

Alan Sugar

...you've read Alan Sugar's biography?

You poor thing.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Concept

A really cool concept would be if somebody could design a cell phone that was capable of behaving as a DECT phone (to an existing or sold-seperately base station) so that users only have to ever carry and use one phone. In the house it will receive calls to the landline, and (optionally) make calls using the landline, as well as behaving as a normal GSM cell phone.

14. Little Poppet
    Thumb Down

Rubbish!

Looks ok from the picture, but the build quality from this manufacturer is rubbish. Plasticky and cheap.

Also, why go for iOS-Lite? Again cheap and inconsistent. Alternatively, WP7 would be acceptable.

15. HFoster
    WTF?

I...

I like Android. A lot. I just can't see the benefit in a smart housephone.

I'm either missing something, or this is a crackbaby of an idea.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Worst name ever

"iDect (by Binatone) iHome Phone"

My eyes are bleeding. And it runs Android. Ironic, don't you think?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like