back to article iPhone lead in ad revenue generation slipping away

Android users are seeing almost as many adverts as iPhone users, in Europe at least, and that is despite Apple customers seeing more than a billion adverts in January from independent ad network InMobi alone. Android is gaining ground fast, with InMobi reporting that it delivered nearly 750 million adverts to European Android …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dirk Vandenheuvel
    IT Angle

Oh dear

The day that we are happy that we are seeing more ads is a sad day indeed.

2. Player_16
    Coat

Here, here. ...

..brought to you by our sponsors.

3. TJ 1
    Pint

There are ads on Android?!

I've got so used to the Cyanogen mod custom ROMs on my devices and a /etc/hosts file that redirects the ad-server host-names to localhost that I'd totally forgotten most devices suffer from over-ad-dose!

Pint since I'd rather pay beer money for applications and be in control of what I see. hear, and download to my own devices.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Three cheers for the loser!

If I have a choice between an app subsidised by advertising and a fully paid app, I pay every time. I hate the intrusion of advertising and marketing into every facet of life. Frankly, I'm not interested in who wins the race for the most advertising (except perhaps to avoid them).

5. Wam

Andriod Ads?

I am constantly getting ads on my Andriod apps - but honestly - who reads them eh? It's just a slightly annoying coloured band in the corner. I don't understand how advertisers think we're going to respond to these things.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But not for long..

Once they figure out you don't they just move the ads to the content itself. Just like Youtube did.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

What's the point though?

Since I only ever seem to see adverts on my Android for other apps and woonga.com, exactly how effective is this? Surely there is only so much money to be made from a system which effectively advertises itself and loan-sharks?

7. Joe K
    WTF?

Hang on

Since the vast majority of Apple apps are switching to iAds that means that this little piss-ant ad company will be seeing less of their ads on iPhones anyway, swinging the figures out of whack with the real world.

Unless i'm missing something here.

8. dssf

"Others"

I bet it is easy to figure out what phone OS is in "Others"...

9. JaitcH
    Happy

One benefit of living in a less prosperous country, or one with a less popular language ...

is, it appears, that we get bothered with fewer adverts or other annoying interruptions.

Mongolia is a great country for obtuse language.

In Ha Noi there are 'guides' who hang around the monuments and approach tourists asking them where they are from. Once they get an answer they whip out a little notebook with recommendations from, allegedly, people resident in the tourists home country as an endorsement for their services.

I always answer 'Mongolia' as it appears none have recommendations from that country.

At airports, when asked where you are headed, 'No where' is an answer that never fails to stump the touts.

1. Tempest
      Happy

Neat idea ... I'm coming from Mongolia, too

Like your airport idea!

Always get bothered by touts in Phonm Penh and Siem Reap so I want want a ride to Nowhere, too!

10. Long Fei
    WTF?

Confused

What's the difference between Nokia OS and Symbian OS???

1. Tempest
      Unhappy

Both these OS are ...

or nearly are EXTINCT, as in dead!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like