back to article Reg Dev wants your Big Three for 07 and 08

What made 2007 so quintessentially... 2007? Reg Dev wants to hear from you about the news, events and software that defined the year. Also, we'd like to know what you'd like to see happen during the coming year, and - this being the IT industry - what you think will really happen. Was it the crushing levels of hype - or the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tuomo Stauffer
    Boffin

Interesting and on other hand, the same old

Personally, an interesting year. Get unemployed, get MacBook, move to better city, find more interesting things to do, so a nice year.

Big 2007? The growth of open source, the slow and misunderstood adoptions of SOA, ITIL, and the confusion how business and IT can / should work together.

My predictions for next year. The fad continues, SaaS ( why didn't we think these nice letters when selling computer services over 30 years ago? ) Computer languages, could someone bring some new ideas and just not new syntax and new libraries, please, 2007 maybe? ITIL, SOA, etc will continue, if they were good ideas a long time ago why not next year. Open Source will grow more than many believe.

Hopes for next year, more integrated systems / network management based on WBEM / CIM, SOA will be seen more than some ESB / WEB / technical implementation and vendor sales pitch ( this I currently hate most because SOA is a nice if not new idea ), ITIL will actually be adopted by more corporations and even some smaller companies start understanding that it really doesn't have to be difficult, heavy, full of vendor products - it is a framework.

Security will of course be one and hopefully ( but I have my doubts ) companies slowly get the idea next year, you can't just buy security, you have to plan / design for it, security is so much more than some products. Of course the same with all the nice,"new" acronyms, you can't buy those, you have to plan / design them based on your business and environment.

Maybe next year is better, I have seen some movement to that direction but not much, maybe 2009 will be better, it takes time to start thinking business again after so long buying all what a vendor has and believing that products can solve all the business problems without any planning and / or design.

2. b4k4
    Thumb Down

You're supposed to send e-mail

not write it all in the comments

This topic is closed for new posts.