back to article Official: Booze prevents senile dementia

Isn't alcohol wonderful? Not only does it make you clever (this has been proven more than once), not only is it good for your heart, but now research has revealed that boozing will also stave off the onset of senile dementia. Seriously: German boffins led by Professur Doktor Steffi G Riedel-Heller of Leipzig uni have just …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey
    Stop

Ah right

So by taking a bottle of gin a day my old Ma stove off the effects of Alzheimers, only to loose her memory because of all the booze, I can see that.

She still went gaga, but at least it wasn't the aluminium saucepans or dodgy beef that was to blame, so that's OK then.

Isn't science wonderful?

2. wub
    Unhappy

Courtesy View of Full Article?

I guess the Oxford Press courtesy view of the full article only extends to UK visitors? Attempting to view the article from the former Colonies, I discovered that to view the article, I either had to be a subscriber or pay US$32 for 1 day access to the article. Too steep for me.

3. The Envoy
    Pint

Cheers!

Next round's on me

4. MountfordD

So does smoking I hear

I have been informed that smoking prevents dementia too. My colleague swears that this bit of information is based on solid clinical statistics. Would it be that smokers die of smoking related diseases before they get to the point of developing senile dementia?

1. richard.cohn
      Pint

Most Rational Explanation

..and it might work for alcohol too. Drink yourself to death by 72 and your Alzheimer's risks are small.

Russian men might turn out to be very, very smart people (on average).

Nastarovje !

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or perhaps ...

... people who live moderate lives don't suffer from quite so many extreme health conditions.

Correlation ain't causation. How. Many Times.

It's not official: booze may or may not have some effect on whether one suffers senile dementia or not, we don't really know.

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

nicotine

It's thought to be because of nicotines affect on dopamene receptors that it can help stave off alzheimer's.

Although I'm not sure if that's a good thing; it just means that you may be more aware of your body failing and your lungs giving out (I've seen it).

1. gafisher
        Paris Hilton

Too Narrow

You're assuming the poster was referring to nicotine-based smoking materials.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agreed on the moderate drinking

Seeing what happens to family trying to drink themselves into the grave hasn't put me off an occasional heartwarmer but did warn me not to overdo it.

On a related note, sysadmins and a work-related sanity-saving sin tax deduction, maybe? If not we might have to play the medical card. The tax deduction is probably cheaper, all things considered.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Please don't hate me for this...

..but what if there's a sin tax error??

6. hplasm
    Pint

See icon!

Cheers Professur Doktor Steffi!

7. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Especially a certain Dublin stout

Just look at the experimental results of Guinness on the recovery of senile dementia/ Alzheimer suffering CEOs

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Pint

eltiT

Just got to join in on this. I think I'll go and have a celebratory drink right now.

9. Roger Greenwood
    Pint

Therefore I fully expect . . .

to collect my Government Issue alcohol discount card along with my bus pass, discount TV licence and free prescriptions, in due course. Cheers.

10. Anonymous John
    Pint

Old folk on limited incomes

Make it available on prescription..

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

WooHoo!

Thank you, science.

12. Deadmonty
    Happy

NHS Prescription

Does this mean I can get Jack Daniels on prescription?

1. Clive Harris
      Pint

I once managed to get Guinness on prescription

It was about 30 years ago and I was in hospital recovering from a bad road accident (ironically caused by a drunk driver). I needed a "high-calorie, high-carbohydrate, high-iron, high-calcium" diet to build up body mass and get the bones to set quickly. They also needed to get my guts working again. I was prescribed Guinness and cheesecake on the NHS. I doubt if they do that sort of thing nowadays.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. DonH

Results Not Surprising

There is extensive evidence that the moderate consumption of alcohol (beer, wine and distilled spirits) is associated with better cognition and reduced risk of developing dementia, including Alzheimer's disease.

On the other hand, there is no overall evidence that any particular form of alcoholic beverage (beer, wine, or distilled spirits) confers greater health benefits than any other.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/InTheNews/MedicalReports/index-Cognition.

1. Saigua
      Thumb Up

Singularity Schmingularity

Evidence? I wanted theory!

We just need them to print these journals on glass and send them 'round.

Och, tippled and moreover full-up on ground proteome; hand over Review Letters G so I can finish me lunch....

The excess goes to cool computers and make Native American Balsamic Vinegar?

15. alwarming
    Pint

Cheers but..

co-orelation/causation/yada-yada...

...probably the people who are full of life and active have more opportunities to drink, or tend to indulge in drinking. So they might have a healthier brain. Dullards, with no social life, probably don't drink and go obtuse faster ?

Regardless, I'll say cheers to that!

16. Fuh Quit
    Go

Self-medication

I've been doing this for years. I'm well ahead of the curve!!

17. dotdavid
    Alert

Oh noes!

"indications are that the present swingeing levels of tax on alcohol in the UK will remain or even be increased, preventing old folk on limited incomes from obtaining the booze they need to retain their sanity"

So... the older politicians get without the benefits of their essential daily beer, the more sanity they lose, and the less likely they are to revoke these stupid laws....

We're doomed :(

18. Mips
    Jobs Horns

German habits

"only a handful of the German wrinklies "fulfilled the criteria of harmful drinking"."

Have you ever lived in Germany? Well the reason there are few wrinkly drinkers is the rest are already dead.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

So the government might want to increase the boo0ze tax so that more people will developer alzheimer. Than it is easier for THEM to deny past mistakes

1. alwarming
      Alert

Re: 01001011010110100101010111011011010

$subj in hex: 25AD2AEDA.

Or "Too SAD to AEDA".

Doesn't make sense at first - What's AEDA ? The first google result says: Alzheimer's Association Early Detection Alliance. Woohooo, too close to the topic of the article, innit ?

20. gafisher

Similia Similbus Curentur

The fundamental principle of homeopathy is confirmed yet again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like