back to article Australians can demand visitors to their homes run contact-tracing app

The legislation underpinning Australia’s COVIDSafe contact-tracing app makes it possible to demand that visitors to private homes install the app before entry. The Privacy Amendment (Public Health Contact Information) Bill 2020 contains a raft of provisions that make it an offence to discriminate on the basis that someone …

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge
    Coat

The response to a bug hunting program in Australia would be completely overwhelming ....... Oh! You meant software bugs!

Probably better that they meant software bugs cos lots of people hunting RL bugs over there would probably cause a death toll far greater than COVID-19!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Hubert Cumberdale

Bug bounties would be good...

I can hear 'em competing now: "That's not a bug; THIS is a bug!"

4. phogan

I take it they aren't going to bother encrypting the data just in case someone leaves it sitting in an open bucket (which has happen way more than it should).

5. big_D Silver badge

Discrimination...

I think the not allowing someone into the house unless they have the app is fine as an exception to the discrimination clause.

You can refuse somebody access to the premises for any reason, generally. If you tried to refuse them entry because they didn't have the app, you would be liable for discrimination, yet not letting them in, because you don't like them, don't want to hear about The Tower etc. is fine, so they could then claim discrimination... It is just how the law works.

M.A.L.S. for the win.

1. Adam 1

Re: Discrimination...

As a general provision, yes, providing it is worded well. There are homes that double as workplaces (eg, some day cares, some dental surgeries, vets, tax agents, etc), and if you take the "this is optional" thing seriously, you have to make sure customers and employees are free to decline without getting the sack. You would also want to be explicit in noting that no onus is on anyone to allow anyone else to view their phones to validate that the application is indeed running.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Discrimination...

Yes, but aren't those houses still treated as commercial premises, if a business is being run out of them?

Probably you could refuse access to your private rooms, but the "commercial" rooms would be excluded from this and you'd have to let them in, whether they have the app or not.

6. gerdesj Silver badge
    Gimp

Can we borrow Tim Watts up here?

He sounds a bit clued up. Our Parliament could do with some witty insightful comments bouncing around it.

1. Irongut Silver badge

Re: Can we borrow Tim Watts up here?

Based on the quote in the article, if we borrowed him none of the other MPs would understand a word he said.

7. -tim
    Facepalm

Who can run the app?

I have a grand total of zero devices that can run the app. I have a number of devices that have the required bluetooth capability but they aren't supported.

1. julian.smith
      Linux

Re: Who can run the app?

I have a grand total of zero devices that are running the app

About 65% of mobile phones in Australia are not running the app - because they haven't downloaded it

Trust Scotty from Marketing / Rupert Murdoch - not likely

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020