back to article Sorry if this seems latency obvious, but... you can always scale out your storage with end-to-end NVMe

Data storage is one of the most complex areas of IT infrastructure, as it needs to fit in with a range of conflicting requirements. Storage architectures have to be fast enough to meet the demands of users and applications, but without breaking the budget. They must deliver enough capacity to meet ever growing volumes of data …

1. Duncan Macdonald Silver badge
    Stop

Lower cost in the cloud ?

For almost any use, data stored at a remote site is going to be slower to access than from a local SATA SSD (let alone NVMe). With the storage costs on cloud providers such as AWS running at about $24 per TB per month (S3 standard) plus data transfer charges, the cost of local storage is probably cheaper over any period longer than a year.

1. Grant2407

Re: Lower cost in the cloud ?

Agreed. The article didn’t seem to cover ingress and egress charges as a reason for keeping workloads on premise.

2. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Lower cost in the cloud ?

A 1TB Crucial MX500 will cost you about £110 including UK sales tax (about US$110). So the payback time is a lot less than one year.

2. Fabrizio
    Happy

Unfortunately Manglement doesn't know the difference between SAN and NAS...

* See comment title

* Great Article title

* Fantastic explanation

Bookmarked for future Manglement use!

3. Snake Silver badge

I see the future, and it's pants

NVMe over Ethernet. And how will they implement a security structure that is both reasonable to implement and strong enough to resist attacks, now and in the foreseeable future?

Glad I'm not the one creating this interface standard. O.O

1. bsdnazz

Re: I see the future, and it's pants

I expect we'll do with NVMe over Ethernet what we do with iSCSI - separate VLAN and switches.

Integration goes as far as using the same technology ( 10Gb Ethernet ) but not as far as connecting the networks ( LAN and iSCSI 'fabric' ) together.

4. Androgynous Cow Herd

Good call

Can I re-use these FCoE switches for it?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020