back to article Facebook-for-suits puts on a fresh jacket. 'Classic' Yammer is so 2018. Behold, a public preview of 'New' Yammer

Microsoft has flung open the doors on its latest crack at Facebook-for-suits with a "New" Yammer. After a good daubing with the Fluent Design brush, the updated platform, which the Windows giant originally picked up for $1.2bn in 2012, is now available in public preview form. Microsoft 365 Global Admins need only flick a …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Linked-In is already bad enough

Yammer, crawling back from the undergrowth, one again rearing it's listless branches and crying aimlessly to the non-believers and the unemployed MBAs, praying that it stops getting sprayed with Social Media Weedkiller.

1. Christopher Reeve's Horse

Re: Linked-In is already bad enough

The brief dabble I had with Linked-In some years ago was enough to realise it was all a self advertising and spamming w**k fest. Never again. Yammer, however, has actually been a very useful and productive tool in our workplace.

No, seriously, it has.

1. cbars

Wow, I'm excited about your workplace / productive-tool, let me know where I can find the white paper!

Hey, also, you look like a perfect fit for this exciting new role in your area, PM me if you want to know more and send me your CV and phone number and we can chat!

Aces, great day!

1. Christopher Reeve's Horse

You may mock, but I'm just stating a valid and true opinion. There's a lot of digital transformation going on in my business (amongst other things) and Yammer has been a useful engagement tool for various communities and user groups.

P.S. Incidentally, CV's and 'job opportunities' are much more of a Linked-In thing, so at least try and mock on target.

1. tin 2

I saw that as exactly the point of the mock....

2. Korev Silver badge

The brief dabble I had with Linked-In some years ago was enough to realise it was all a self advertising and spamming w**k fest. Never again.

I like The Best of Linkedin Twitter account

2. katrinab Silver badge
    Unhappy

I thought LinkedIn was Facebook for suits?

It's definitely not my favourite social media network, due to the presence of the aforementioned suits, is continued insistence that I should upload a photo, and its continued attempts to try to rifle though my emails and contact list.

1. overunder Silver badge

LinkedIn is for people who walk on water.

If you're hiring someone and find that they have a LinkedIn account, you're no longer hiring someone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Is that one of those smug-but-meaningless comments that often get posted on LinkedIn?

3. Barry Rueger

What? Yammer?

It likely speaks volumes that I assumed "Facebook-for-suits" referred to LinkedIn.

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Ah Yammer... I remember it well

We had it at one place I worked. IT wasn't too bad but as soon as Microsoft bought it, the level of use dropped to zero. I wonder why? :)

5. Stuart Castle Silver badge

We sort of use Yammer at work. I say "sort of" because we still do use it officially, but very few people (apart from a few posters who are determined it's the future) use it, and, as a result, for most people, it's just become yet another *thing* they have to check for messages. One group I am in at work did use Yammer fairly extensively, but we've moved to Teams, as it can transfer messages and files just as well as Yammer, and also enables us to have meetings, and we all have to use it for other things anyway.

6. IGnatius T Foobar ! Bronze badge

Too many tools

Sh*point, Teams, OneDrive, Exchange, and now Yammer ... sorry Microsoft, but your dandelion farm of collaboration tools means I can't find something when I actually go to look for it. These tools are where information goes to die. I've fallen back to just putting stuff on the file server again.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Too many tools

Indeed. I am sitting in my self-isolated lair with five computer screens across two computers. Three of them are dedicated to communications applications.

Also, you forgot Skype.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020