back to article Salesforce chief Marc Benioff gets clear view of pandemic, 'new balance' from guru pal

"Imagine no possessions," John Lennon sang a few years after meeting a guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The Beatles' path to India followed in the footsteps of numerous intellectuals and beatniks, including Herman Hesse and Allen Ginsberg. In the billionaire software elite, the journey is less common, although not unknown. …

1. IGotOut Silver badge

PPE

The issue is not the Money, it's the fucking NHS red tape and general difficulty getting it. Throwing money around makes bugger all difference. In some places there is plenty of PPE and I know that many people with 3D printers and home sewing experts that are using backdoor methods to get the kit in. I.e. contacting Doctors directly (who are almost snatching out of their hands)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PPE

The NHS is the 5th largest employer in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_employers

It's filled to bursting with literally thousands of worthless managers and executives all earning 6 or 7 figure salaries and not doing very much at all.

My wish, post-COVID, would be to see 99% of these parasites queueing at the dole office replaced by at least ten times as many frontline workers and several giant warehouses kept permanently stocked with pandemic PPE.

2. Marketing Hack Silver badge
    Go

Hey, don't knock the value of simple advice!!

After all, documentaries show that Bill & Ted changed the whole future of the human race through the mantra of "Be excellent to eachother"!

1. You aint sin me, roit
      Happy

And party on, dude!

Don't forget the party... while adhering to appropriate social distancing at all times.

3. HildyJ Silver badge
    Flame

Chump change

El Reg needs to start reporting rich people's charity as a percentage of their net worth instead of a dollar amount.

Benioff's contribution was 0.0008 percent of his net worth.

1. HildyJ Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Chump change

My bad. I forgot to move the decimal. 0.0008 of his net worth which translates to 0.08 percent. Still a drop in the bucket

1. You aint sin me, roit

El Reg unit of generosity?

The "drop in a bucket" equal to approximately 0.08% of net worth.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least Benioff is enabling and encouraging others to contribute, despite his own wealth. But let's look closer to home. The owners of DM are largely treating this as a PR exercise, while staying in tax havens and absolutely not toning down on their cancerous style of reporting.

5. jake Silver badge

I suppose that means ...

... he built the eyesore in San Francisco to send us all good vibes, then? And here I just thought it was just to stroke his monstrous ... uh ... ego.

6. disgruntled yank Silver badge

new balance

Run on down to your local sneaker store, sir. They've got all the New Balance you can use (if not, clearly, all you can buy.)

1. jake Silver badge

Re: new balance

"Run on down to your local sneaker store"

Closed. Shoes are non-essential. Sez the dude in Sacramento sporting $900 loafers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020