back to article Atlassian to offensively price itself through the post-pandemic patch

Atlassian has re-iterated that its business model is “playing offense in stormy weather” and will use the coronavirus crisis to acquire customers with freebies and maybe make some opportunistic acquisitions. The Australian collaboration organisation posted its Q3 results on Thursday, with revenue of $411.6 million representing …

1. Pu02
    WTF?

I wanted to adopt their Hip chat server a few years back...

It had E2E encryption, allowed you to do video and desktop sharing, audio and file sharing with registered or LDAP users. No meeting crashers, safe sharing of confidential material, etc. It even worked through the GFW and various endpoint security without a hitch. I was impressed.

Then, as I was setting up a production internal server, they took a page out of the Google/Apple playbook, and sold it off/discontinued it. VCs wanting to exit and take the cash maybe?

Anyhow, I am yet to deploy a single Jira or Confluence instance as a result. Without users already in the ecosystem, these steps present a bigger challenge, especially in small orgs, as each needs an internal champion to make it over the adoption hump.

I'm yet to summon the courage to do this, so our staff persist with our various and less mature tools. I still wish their HipChat was there; the alternatives remain utter rubbish.

The Atlassian crew do seem to only care about cloud-based solutions though. Products like Trello appear proud that they will never offer a 'off-cloud' version. When I read that in their Doco/FAQ it was another nail in the coffin to me deciding to sign up to their other products. This is a real shame as their startup prices and offering is perhaps the best in the industry.

Not sure how all today's cloud providers think startups and small orgs don't value security, or centralised data storage or surety over the location they host their data in. I'm yet to meet a founder that doesn't...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wanted to adopt their Hip chat server a few years back...

On behalf of those of us that have to suffer Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket etc. and their recent UI "improvements", for god's sake please don't inflict them on your devs! Better to muddle through and get the job done with less mature tools than spend 50% of your day waiting for the simplest things to be rendered by the browser.

1. BillG
        Mushroom

It's bad enough we have to endure COVID19, but it is morally wrong to force anyone to have to endure the horror that is Jira.

2. Robert Grant

Having used old and new Confluence, new is so much nicer!

2. D.A.

Allow me to be the first to say that Jira is a massive pile of crap, and one of the worst things to happen to software engineering in decades.

3. TheRealRoland
    Thumb Down

i can't believe how janky it has gotten. Sure, if you have a project running, i guess it works. But as soon as you need to migrate a board or project over from one instance to another instance, ooh boy. Two different import functions, both not doing what it promises on the box. No easy migration possible, in short.

But again, if you have it running, and no need to move some stuff to a new instance, by all means, go ahead.

But think twice when you're asked to use a new interface, or use the nextgen project type. not worth it.

4. AndrueC Silver badge
    Unhappy

Will it keep hiring enthusiastic young talent then firing all of them apart from one lucky person after a month?

Happened to a young relative of mine and I think it's a shitty way to vet new talent.

5. Downside

Not surprised - they have a mature product which is admittedly a bit ropey in quite a few places but it stands up for us and scales well enough. We've developed great plugins for Confluence which tie in nicely with Comala workflows and delivers a robust document management solution. Cannot see us moving anywhere else anytime soon.

And yes, I've run and admin'd a ton of these systems over what is now decades, so IMHO these are still great. REST api is a bit hit and miss, but if you wish to tool rond these apps, you can. Cloud is defintly where it's all going - who wants on prem anymore?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like