back to article Where were you in drought season? Interstellar comet 2I/Borisov dumped 230 million litres of water as it whizzed through Solar System

The interstellar comet 2I/Borisov shed nearly 230 million litres of water as it whizzed through our Solar System during its visit last year, according to measurements gathered by NASA’s Neil Gehrels Swift Observatory. The clumpy ice rock is best known for being the first alien comet, as opposed to the interstellar asteroid …

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

"Some shine, comet rain"

FTFY

2. Hans 1 Silver badge
    Pint

Boffins

They make the kit that

-often exceeds its expected lifetime

-is often abused for new unforeseen uses

Not Friday, but a pint is due.

3. Tom 7 Silver badge

noralorrawater in a drought.

It would barely wet the grass in Rutland!

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So it came from another system

It was created billions of years ago, and ejected from its solar system following some celestial mechanics not in its favor. It spent untold millennia in the vast emptiness of space, once again caught a glimmer of heat and light for a brief instant, and will now probably never venture into another star's heliosphere again.

Food for thought.

1. DJV Silver badge
      Happy

Food for thought

More like "drink for thought" in this case!

5. jake Silver badge

230,000,000 litres!

That's just under 186.5 acre feet. Roughly enough water for 750 US households for a year (if they aren't being completely stupid about wasting it ... that's about 225 US gallons per day per household ... ).

It's really not all that much. Certainly nothing resembling a drought-buster.

1. MiguelC Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: 230,000,000 litres!

Pah! that's just 91.8946 Olympic swimming pools worth of space water

Please, please, use common sense standards!

1. TechnicalBen Silver badge

It's just over one Hindenburg, or half a supertanker. Though neither are super accurate, so probably best to go with "Two fifths a supertanker plus one hundred and seventy four minke whales" designation.

2. jake Silver badge

I just recalculated the volume of the release and came up with 226534772.74 liters, which is within a couple percent of the original guesstimate. Not all that remarkable, until you translate it into cubic feet.

IT MUST BE A MESSAGE!!!!!!11!!!1!one!!!!!1!!1eleven!!!

6. Tom 38 Silver badge

0.1 Bathtubs/second

But is that African or European?

1. b0llchit
      Alien

Re: 0.1 Bathtubs/second

Just about two blue whales per solar visit. Not the extraterrestrial kind of blue or whale. More like the Antarctic type at TNO objects' temperatures.

1. TechnicalBen Silver badge
        Coat

Re: 0.1 Bathtubs/second

Are you sure? I think you missed a zero or two. 2 whales are about 230 *thousand* liters. Here we are talking *million* liters.

I hope your not on you're way to Mars. We know the dangers of using a Martian meter (measured from its equator) vs a luna meter (measured for *its* equator) can cause "rapid unplanned disassembly events. Even worse if you use some sort of ancient non universal measuring device, like a body part...

Mine is the one with the guide in the pocket that notes the errors everyone else made in their journeys.

7. Chris G Silver badge

It's my first visit here

So I thought I'd let off a little steam.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020