back to article China strings up red tape barrier that shows businesses they're better off buying local tech

China has implemented new rules for buying tech equipment in a move to bolster the country's cybersecurity. The new rules, announced yesterday by the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC), requires "critical information infrastructure operators" to undergo a review for any tech products or services that "affect or may …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"political, diplomatic, and trade factors"

Read: The Chinese government's ability to surveil/control.

1. Chris G

Re: "political, diplomatic, and trade factors"

So not at all like the PATRIOT act or the UK's RIPA and it's successor or Australia dismantling the laws of mathematics and Canada evesdropping on it's citizens, to name just a few.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I do not recall implying anything but a mincing of words.

2. AConcernedCitizen
        Coat

>Australia dismantling the laws of mathematics

The Commutative, Associative or Distributive Laws?

1. BebopWeBop
          Thumb Up

Chapeu

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Trollface

"The Commutative, Associative or Distributive Laws?"

Now I can hear Tom Lehrer's "New Math" in my head...

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

More information on this will be needed to go beyond simple snark and into the realm of an outright conspiracy...

But until then, yeah: We know Communism violates civil rights, particularly privacy, to maintain control. Why would they NOT do this (i.e. surveil and control)???

Or has everyone forgotten the Chinese government's poor record on individual rights and privacy... "Great Firewall" anyone?

AC you are perfectly justified to snark in such a manner. I would.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@bombastic bob - Re: "political, diplomatic, and trade factors"

Come on, Bob, don't tell me US has strong laws protecting privacy. As for control, please spare us of your righteousness. Any government on this planet wants and needs to control its citizens.

And since you seem to be well informed, what is so special about China ? There are some other countries with even poorer record on human rights and US sees no problem in partnering with them. So why exactly China, why are they required to have a spotless record ?

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Bob, how are those arms deals with Saudi Arabia going these days.

It's amazing how governments (not just the USA) ignore human rights when it comes to oil and arms sales.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

What goes around comes around

When you go around shrieking about how a Chinese company puts your comm infrastructure at risk without any proof whatsoever, and try to strong-arm everybody else to "trust" you just because, well you can hardly be surprised that China, in turn, takes your arguments at face value and sets its own comms infrastructure rules down.

Except that China doesn't have to go shrieking that Cisco is beholden to the NSA, everybody knows that - and there's proof.

1. Tubz Silver badge

Re: What goes around comes around

Always thought Cisco HQ was in the NSA basement or is it the CIA cloakroom?

2. hoola Silver badge

Re: What goes around comes around

What a surprise, I would have though that most people except the current incumbent of the White House could have foreseen this.

You reap what you sow and in this case the biggest losers are likely to be the companies that have vigorously campaigned against Chinese products. Arrogance and protectionism only gets you so far. Maybe I should add stupidity to that as well!

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Black Helicopters

The CAC did not respond to The Register's request...

Aha! Proof that China is a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple.

1. Ragarath

Except...

Apple did reply to The Reg a few weeks ago about something. Can't remember the article but I'm sure they did!

Please help me out someone; it may be that I have gone mad?

2. Jonathon Green

Or vice versa...

4. BebopWeBop

I wonder whether they are getting their reparations for retaliation in early?

1. analyzer

Unlikely, the US has become a very 'fragile' trading partner over the last few years. It no longer wants to do business with the rest of the world unless we bow down and kiss your current incompetents feet, sorry meant incumbents there but it still fits.

China is just pointing out that they require certainty and security of supply neither of which the US can ensure. This is noteworthy because it is being done at a national level but there are many firms who are investigating possible escape from US made critical infrastructure.

This is what happens when a lying, cheating, untrustworthy guttersnipe of the lowest scum level possible gets elected to lead the largest economy on the planet.

5. Financegozu
    Facepalm

"continuous supervision" ... Hahaha!

You mean, "continuous spying". There, corrected it for you

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Wrong? Yes. Distinctive? No.

China should not be doing this but they are certainly not the only major power that reviews acquisitions based on parochial interests and justifies it based on national security.

As for spying, again, all major powers spy on their citizens and non-citizens.

China's grievous faults lie in the area of human rights.

7. clyde666

Just what did the USA expect when they started banning Chinese imports?

A bully knows when a weaker person will roll over and do as told. Usually bullies recognise the limits and quietly lay off.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like