back to article India launches e-government platform for 125,000 villages and drone land surveys to put them on the map

India has launched a new e-government platform for rural villages and hopes it will advance their development and help increase the nation’s tax base. The new E-Gram Swaraj Portal will take advantage of the increasing electrification and connectivity available in Indian villages. The nation has proudly connected 125,000 local …

1. osakajin

The Doomsday database.

1. Sgt_Oddball Silver badge

For the sake of pointing out the obvious

To the down voter, this wasn't in reference to the end-of-times doomsday but instead to the Doomsday book. A work ordered by William the conquer and completed in 1086 to record England for the sake of defence, record keeping, land ownership and taxation. The parallels work perfectly, hence the comment.

1. ChrisElvidge

Re: For the sake of pointing out the obvious

The reference should not then have the (common) misspelling; it is: The Domesday Book

2. Chris G Silver badge

Bound to occur

A few million boundary disputes wil keep India busy for a while, I wonder hoe they are planning to handle that?

1. Stork Silver badge

Re: Bound to occur

Don't you think they have those disputes already? With luck, this could mean some of them could get settled for good.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Depends on who pays the local councillors how much...

2. Chris G Silver badge

Probably not, I suspect most rural Indians live in houses in villages that have never had formal registration, the same my wel go for the land they farm.

Often there are no issues until governments make them, once officials start going round registering land, that is when the arguments will start because up to that point the land had no official owner an those families living on and farming it have probably been there since the year dot.

This is largely an exercise to increase revenue so the poor will likely suffer at expense of those who can pay the taxes.

3. stiine Silver badge
    Devil

Panchayats are required to create and administer local development plans and can administer contracts that.

I'm sure there is supposed to be more to this sentence or that that that is a mistake..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020