back to article Oracle makes some certifications and cloudy content free, in case you have time on your hands

Oracle will offer free training and learning material during the coronavirus lockdown. The database giant's training division, Oracle University, said last night it will make all its content and certifications, including more than 50 hours of online training and six certificate exams, free until May 15. The courses include …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

No rest for the wicked

Why would IT people have time off during a lockdown?

And even they did, it's Larry. Later on he'll change the terms retroactively and hunt you down and charge you for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No rest for the wicked

Have an upvote.

People should remember that nothing from Oracle is ever truly free. They'll find a way sooner or later to get $$$$/£££££ from you. I'm surprised that they haven't (yet) put Oracle.com behind a paywall and only those who have fully paid up licences are allowed inside.

1. TVU Silver badge

Re: No rest for the wicked

"People should remember that nothing from Oracle is ever truly free"

^ Exactly this because a few months later comes the phone call, "Hi, this is the Oracle license compliance section", and the rest is history.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"more than 50 hours of online training"

Seems to me that there are going to be some people looking into ways of recording video streams - purely for archival purposes, obviously.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "more than 50 hours of online training"

The most boring video ever but could be used for a museum piece/art installation for when the last Oracle DBA retires in about 8 years time. /snark

3. el-keef

How to access?

Anyone know how to get access to these? I can't find any mention of free stuff on their website, still charging lots of dosh..

1. Noah Monsey

Re: How to access?

The link below has instructions for accessing the Oracle Education information.

https://www.oracle.com/corporate/blog/free-certifications-oracle-oci-autonomous-033020.html

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: How to access?

Ooops - sorry, we've added a link to the courses.

Don't forget to email corrections@theregister.co.uk if you think we've omitted something.

C.

4. SVV

Oracle University

If I join is there a Fresher's Week where I can spend the whole time in alcoholic oblivion? And do I earn a degree, seeing as you call yourself a university? Can I be part of the University Challenge team? Travel by punt beneath those dreaming spires.........

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Waiting for the corona baby boom dropping at xmas.

6. David Flanders

Not just Oracle...

Cisco are running some of their courses for free

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

certifications for a product no one uses

why waste time on products people are actively trying to avoid implementing.

Oracle (and IBM) have multiple entries on my sh!t list.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like