back to article Lockdown ain't easy. And that's without snoring, burping, hair-shedding seals outside your house

Reg readers confined to quarters for the duration of the global coronavirus pandemic are probably not enjoying being at home all day, every day. But at least your home is almost certainly not beset by snoring, moulting, smelly elephant seals. That's what the locked-in staff at Australian Antarctic base Davis Station are …

1. Shadow Systems
    Joke

Burping, farting, & stinky...

At first I thought you were talking about my inlaws.

I'll get my coat, it's the one with the noseplugs in the pockets...

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: Burping, farting, & stinky...

At first I thought you were talking about my inlaws.

I was thinking of a few ex-colleagues.

1. Fungus Bob

Re: Burping, farting, & stinky...

I thought it was about me.

2. jake Silver badge

Damn.

I was hoping that San Francisco was finally going to do something about those fucking useless homeless sea lions over at Pier 39's West Marina ... But no, I guess the idiots still think they are a fun tourist attraction. If there were any tourists, that is.

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

30 minutes of Thick Air

They should make a recording, then walk to the South pole and record 30 minutes of Clean Air...

4. phuzz Silver badge
    Coat

At least in Antarctica they're iceolated.

1. BebopWeBop
      Facepalm

Or maybe even this icon? ------------------------>

5. Unicornpiss

Geez..

Aren't they isolated enough just by being in the Antarctic without being forced to stay indoors? I know they have a policy of not interacting with the wildlife, even if it means letting an animal die that could be saved. Is this maybe why they have to put up with the seals?

6. jason_derp

Excellent

Now I know what to call that thing in my basement: a wallow! Still need to find out where it came from, why it's growing, and why the cats, my wife, and myself all uncontrollably hiss at it when we wake up in front of it after a bout of somnambulance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Excellent

Frican or Uropean?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Jeez Louise

Didn't any of those scientists in the video recognize what a wallow is and locate the station a bit further away (and upwind)?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"But at least your home is almost certainly not beset by snoring, moulting, smelly elephant seals."

My wife says we have one of those in the house. Odd, but I've never seen it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like