back to article Instagram, YouTube 'iron man' marketer first to be nabbed by Feds cracking down on fake coronavirus web cures

A social-media marketer is understood to be the first person to be hit with a federal fraud charge in the US for allegedly trying to trick people into investing in a bogus COVID-19 cure. Keith Middlebrook, 53, of southern California, was this week accused [PDF] of committing attempted fraud by wire, radio, and television. …

1. FlamingDeath
    Holmes

"During these difficult days, scams like this are using blatant lies to prey upon our fears and weaknesses”

So a bit like advertising then?

1. Chris King Silver badge

"So a bit like advertising then?"

Or politics...

2. Donn Bly

He should be given the opportunity to demonstrate it

He should be given the opportunity to demonstrate the immunity effects of his "cure". I propose washing him down in the spittle of the critically ill patients, then placed in public observation in a glass box where he and his vital signs are live-streamed to the world. Immagine the deterrent effects, especially if there are empty glass holding cells right next to him visible on the stream.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Obnoxious fitness jock?

Not as smart as he thought he was?

Shocked I tell you.

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Investment is tricky

I mean, how are we supposed to tell the scams apart from the legitimate order-of-magnitude-guaranteed-return opportunities? It's almost like there's some correlation between risk and return!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Too bad the courts are closed

If they could get him tried and sentenced quickly, he could test out his cure in a prison cell with a non socially distanced COVID positive cellmate.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020