back to article Microsoft tries getting touchy-feely once again with its Windows Insiders

Microsoft celebrated the arrival of a new boss for the Windows Insider Program with a fresh build and another crack at dealing with Windows 10's often maddening approach to tablets. While true believers continue to wait for a taste of things to come in the form of the interface tweaks teased by Panos Panay or a Windows 10X …

1. Julz Silver badge

Apropos

nothing. Is it just me or are there significantly less comments being posted here. If so, does that mean that the collective commutards are all home with far better things to do with their time than to litter these pages with vitriol. Not that anyone would ever be caught reading The Reg at work ;(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: less comments

There could be a variety of reasons but as the sun is shining (still cold though), SWMBO's everywhere are getting peed off with their other half being under their feet (yes already) so could well have been banished to the Garage, Garden or Shed with words like,

"Don't come back in here with greasy hands of middy feet!"

Then there is the non availability of the other bold hole a.k.a 'The Pub' to fall back on.

If this goes of for very long, I see stormy waters ahead for a good few marriages.

2. Shadow Systems Silver badge

Re: Apropos

I'm limiting my vitriol against Win10 on the grounds that I'm sick & fekkin' tired of all the shite I'll have to endure if I wind up having to use the bloody thing.

If I keep posting/venting my hatred of MS then I may wind up even more insane than I already am.

I spend far too much on dried frog pills as it is...

1. Kane Silver badge

"I spend far too much on dried frog pills as it is..."

BUURRRRSAAAAARRR!!!!!

1. David 132 Silver badge
          Happy

Nap my for time it’s think I.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

That should have been :

dɐu ʎɯ ɹoɟ ǝɯᴉʇ s,ʇᴉ ʞuᴉɥʇ I

1. David 132 Silver badge

Not really. I was quoting the Bursar, and he’s not habitually in Fourecks.

3. Kane Silver badge

"Not that anyone would ever be caught reading The Reg at work ;("

That's the key word, right there...

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Not sure if it's far better things to do with their time, just everyone's spare time is soaked up trying to work with the rest of the family at home leaving no quality Reg time.

2. Hans 1 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Has anybody seen a compatible bargepole?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

re: Has anybody seen a compatible bargepole?

you mean the one last seen sending Windows Mobile (or whatever it was called that week) to meet its maker.

Sometime, you have to ask yourself why does MS bother with Touchy stuff? They have never sold in huge (by comparison with the iPad) numbers. With Apple adding mouse support aren't MS getting a little squeezed?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

What I really like is seeing people with latest touchscreen-enabled laptops pointing to something on screen, like they've done for the past twenty years, and then getting pissed off when Windows reacts to their gesture.

That never fails to amuse me.

2. HildyJ Silver badge

A downhill ride

The MS OS for tablets has been going downhill since Windows XP Tablet PC Edition. I know. I've had six Windows tablets, all but one slates, since my Motion m1300 in 2003.

I'm not stupid enough to be Windows Insider, aka alpha tester, but once it goes into General Release, aka beta, I'll install it. Some of the features would be nice on my current Dell Venue Pro.

Why Windows keeps it up, I don't know but I'm grateful for it.

3. LDS Silver badge

"pretend the Windows 8 Tablet Mode never happened"

Unluckily, it worked very well in tablet mode, unlike the Window 10 "tablet" mode which is a kludge. Of course it didn't work well at all in desktop mode.

Why the mighty Microsoft can't deliver and switch between two different UI experiences, each tailored for a different input, instead of trying to force one to adapt to the other, every time delivering a subpar experience?

Maybe if it stops trying to deliver the next API incompatible with all the previous ones - but if you want something usable you still have to call Win32 one, it could free resources to deliver it.

1. MGJ

Re: "pretend the Windows 8 Tablet Mode never happened"

Indeed. On my Surface Book 2 there is just no way of switching between tablet and desktop (ie removing the screen and turning it around) without shutting down. Too many processes need killed off. And logging on in tablet mode is tricky since it is difficult to get the on screen keyboard up. Great when you are logged in though, and still the best laptop I've ever had. Sound, graphics, keyboard, trackpad. USB ports on the wrong side though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020