back to article There's no Huawei a virus can stop us! 90% of our staff in China are already back at work, says CEO

The vast majority of Huawei's employees are back to work following nationwide shutdowns implemented in response to the coronavirus outbreak in China. Huawei's founder and CEO, Ren Zhengfei has told the Hong-Kong-based South China Morning Post that more than 90 per cent of the company's 150,000 Chinese workers are back at their …

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Bad becomes good

Huawei ..... oh yes: 5G rollout.

Way back in the beginning of time (i.e. December 2019, before Coronavirus took over every news channel) there was a bit of a kerfuffle about the UK using Chinese kit in its nascent 5G network. Doncha know? they might spy on us. Just imagine!

Three months later and governments all over the world are considering ways to do just that. To track their people and see who they come in close proximity to. It seems to me that this "spying" stuff is ideally suited to this application. And since the Chinese seem to be ahead of the game in mass surveillance, they could probably supply a turnkey system to fully integrate with their 5G systems. To do just what governments now consider a valid reason to "spy" on us all.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Bad becomes good

Governments have had a valid reason reason to spy on us for a while now.

It's just that now, they have a justifiable one.

2. Alan Bourke

Re: Bad becomes good

I see tin foil hattery remains unaffected.

2. the Jim bloke

killer app

Forget about the ever increasing megapixel count - and lens count, on new model phones.

The first manufacturer to put a working temperature gun onto their phone is going to leave the competition for dead.

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Re: killer app

Temperature scans are not reliable enough. What you need is the new covid antibody test, with integrated needle to prick yourself.

1. batfink

Enough pricks call my phone already. I don't need any built-in ones as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@batfink

You are the lucky one so shut up. I wish I could say I have enough people with a prick (preferably "excited") calling me

Cheers… Ishy

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Yes, the antibody test will kill two birds (could be crows but any will do) with one stone:

• provide much more reliable data about the actual infection rate and hence the morbidity and mortality rates
        • provide an excellent source for treatment

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For testing who?

Is it going to be front facing so you can check your own temperature? Or do you want to see people pointing their phones (and the little laser dot to tell where the temperature sensor is pointing) at random people they encounter all day long? Hopefully such a thing would be quickly made illegal!

Nevermind that by the time one's temperature is elevated they may have been infected a week, so a normal temperature reading is no assurance they are healthy.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Stealing a (long) March

The Chinese see the enormous potential of getting production back up as everyone else shuts it down: Rockefeller would be delighted. For some markets there will be even less choice but to buy from China, including much of the kit and research related to Corvid-19 (or crow flu as I would like it be known erroneously).

The the same time, the Chinese government looks more organised and reliable and less capricious than many western governments, which are still swaying between populist impulses, scientific advice and practicability.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stealing a (long) March

more organised and reliable and less capricious

Reminds me of the old saying that at least under Mussolini the trains ran on time...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

And the Nazis invented motorways…

Didn't stop them being complete shits, just like Mussolini.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Which is the point I was making. You can get anything done easily when you're a single-party dictatorship.

Sure, which is why they continue to hold a certain appeal. Of course, over time dictatorships tend to become inefficient because power gets handed to yes men. China has been able to mask some of the most spectacularly poor investments by focussing on growth at all costs and allowing its massive domestic market to support exports. And, in contrast to Soviet Russia, Deng's reforms meant that companies can sell pretty much anything for which there is a market, apart from free speech that is, of course.

1. jelabarre59

Sure, which is why they continue to hold a certain appeal. Of course, over time dictatorships tend to become inefficient because power gets handed to yes men.

Which makes me wonder who the particular "yes men" were that decided they'd prefer to cover up a particular flu outbreak in a small region rather than report it and call for assistance while it was still containable. Just be assured if such persons are "revealed", they will be nothing more than convenient "fall guys" to redirect blame on.

2. DavCrav

"The the same time, the Chinese government looks more organised and reliable and less capricious than many western governments, which are still swaying between populist impulses, scientific advice and practicability."

That Chinese success story in full.

1) Allow the ridiculous practice of wet markets to continue, despite it being responsible for several outbreaks of novel diseases in the past.

2) When the next outbreak happens, destroy evidence and suppress the story, while gaining information on it.

3) Don't tell anyone so that it gets silently exported to the rest of the world.

4) Institute dystopian lockdowns that are impossible elsewhere unless you are already set up as a dystopian surveillance state.

5) Fling around ridiculous conspiracy theories about it being the US Army that brought it to China, while accusing anyone that points out that this is entirely China's fault of racism.

6) Crow about how your response proves that China is fantastic and the disease you exported to everyone else is somehow proof that your way is better.

You should re-read my post: I'm not complimenting China just observing how things may look in many places and how it is poised to benefit from the situation.

1) Allow the ridiculous practice of wet markets to continue, despite it being responsible for several outbreaks of novel diseases in the past.

This has already largely been debunked as the cause of the outbreak. We all need to rethink our intensive farming practices because we have virtually no way of dealing with an MRSA outbreak which has a far higher mortality rate than any of the current crop of viruses.

1. DavCrav

"This has already largely been debunked as the cause of the outbreak."

Has it? Someone should tell the Telegraph, which ran this as the probable cause of the outbreak three hours ago. Oh, and the CDC, which currently blames an animal market in Wuhan. Oh, and tell the Chinese government, which has permanently closed the associated market.

Please, show me a (respected, non-Chinese) source that debunks the wet market hypothesis.

Isn't the Telegraph still reporting about the Spanish Flu?

The Lancet published a report in January that was sceptical: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/wuhan-seafood-market-may-not-be-source-novel-virus-spreading-globally and there is increasing discussion about the strain in Italy, significantly different to the one here in Germany.

What is not in doubt is that the outbreak was first discovered in Wuhan but, as any statistician can tell you, correlation is not causation.

Much of the media, driven by the 24 hour news cycle, continues to rehash stories and run the "league table" of known infections and fatalities while doing very little fact checking or comparative analysis. After a slow start in the virus season America has caught up and now leads the pack…

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@DavCrav

Are you mental? or has your supply of tinfoil run out? If so Let me know. There is plenty in my local offy

Cheers… Ishy

1. DavCrav

"Are you mental? or has your supply of tinfoil run out? If so Let me know. There is plenty in my local offy"

Are you just following me on this site calling me names? Which of the points I stated is not what actually occurred?

The conspiracy theories are currently being peddled on various media, e.g., Twitter, by actual ambassadors for China, for example. The crowing about their 'achievements' was done by Xi himself. All this is documented. The destruction of evidence and cover up was also well documented. Which bit of it is tinfoil hat?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Corvid-19

Bloody Magpies!!

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

It's nothing to crow about.

2. Intractable Potsherd

One for sorrow, two for joy... nineteen for a world-changing virus?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Every government sees enormous potential in getting production back up (it's why Trump keeps targeting Easter to lift restrictions).

The thing is that China took drastic measures to successfully contain the outbreak and now sees new cases coming from outside of China so they can normalize activity, including production.

China was helped by being a dictatorship but it still took hard decisions which much of the rest of the world is still unwilling to make. Can anyone see a quarantine which allows nobody in or out of New York City or London or (back to dictators) Moscow?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To be fair, we're beyond locking off cities. That only works if the virus isn't everywhere else already.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The the same time, the Chinese government looks more organised and reliable and less capricious than many western governments, which are still swaying between populist impulses, scientific advice and practicability."

I'm sure western governments would haveless issues with people avoiding lockdowns if they put armed police/army units on the streets with orders to shoot to kill. While the information may not be reliable, there appear to be a number of sources and multiple videos on YouTube and other social media.

Difficult to argue CORVID19 was the cause of death when there are multiple entry wounds. Or maybe the victims were healthy? Either way, the victims quickly stopped ignoring the lock downs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like