back to article Samsung says it has the future of DRAM sorted after success with new EUV process

Samsung is confident it has the future of DRAM in the bag after successfully producing memory using a cutting-edge EUV-based lithography process. EUV technology uses short-wavelength ultraviolet light that are close to soft X-rays. The result is smaller features, and a potentially cheaper and simpler manufacturing process, …

1. uro

"Already shipped a million units to good reviews, now says DDR5 will launch in 20201"

I knew DDR5 was a while away for consumers but 20201 seems a tad rediculous.

1. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Come on, just 18181 years ahead. Easy going. Faster than German Telekom.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What? No isolinear chips before 20201?

I was already designing my starship computer, but I can't build it with DDR5.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Yes, it was fixed - don't forget to email corrections@theregister.co.uk if you spot anything wrong

C.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The result is smaller features and simpler and cheaper manufacturing process."

"The main problem has been that the new tech is more complex than its predecessors"

Make your mind up, guys.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A stamping press is more complex technology to bend metals into a shape, but allows a simpler and cheaper manufacturing process - compared to bulding a master shape and hammering the metal by hand.

Learning how to control a new technology to achieve a given result can be complex (and expensive), once you get it using it may deliver a simpler and cheaper manufacturing process.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But it seems the supply vs demand of RAM means it's always expensive. :(

1. Anonymous Coward
          Devil

When they say "cheaper" they don't usually mean "for the end customer".

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

But RAM is much, much, much cheaper for the end customer, both byte-for-byte and in terms of what's suitable for a typical per-user workload, than it was a few decades ago.

In 1990, the cheapest RAM listed in John McCallum's data was $46 per MB. Adjusted for inflation that's about $91. The 2020 prices average out to around $0.0033 / MB, a factor of almost 40000.

2. Glen 1

Re Expensive RAM

It's like housing. A median budget gets you a less-than-median amount of ram.

2. Claverhouse Silver badge

Bah, once out of the EU, Britannia can spread her wings and soar, freed from bureaucratic masters and return to making RAM by hand in the good old way in tiny quantities, in little back sheds with hand-tools, with unkempt dogged ingenuity and bold determination.

Good job too, for once out we won't be able to afford that foreign muck.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Doing smaller features with smaller light is simpler once you make the machine work.

Doing smaller features with bigger light (current process) involves all sorts of dark-arts trickery that will always be expensive

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Hand crafted artianal ram with capacity measured properly in gross of dozen bit bytes

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Make your mind up, guys.

I've tweaked it a bit. The point is: it can be cheaper and simpler during manufacturing, but developing the technology to get to this point has been complex and difficult.

Don't forget to email corrections@theregister.co.uk if you spot any inconsistencies so that they can be fixed, ta.

C.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So EUV chips can be made faster, are more dense and they consume less

Sounds like paradise. And, made faster and easier means making more with the same resources means each unit costs less, so it's a win-win-win.

Except that they're going to want to recoup the costs of putting it in place, so we're not going to see price drops any time soon. And the gaming crowd won't care because it'd DDR5, man, look at those framerates !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So EUV chips can be made faster, are more dense and they consume less

Sounds like me in a new car.

The first and last qualities belong to the car

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: So EUV chips can be made faster, are more dense and they consume less

So ... the price stays the same, but the product gets better. An outrage!

Were I in the habit of buying computers,1 I'd be pleased to hear about this. Reducing power consumption alone is good.

1I've only ever bought one general-purpose computer, and that was 13 years ago. It was OK. I buy (used or remaindered) phones every few years, but that's because the damn things break and generally aren't repairable under reasonable conditions.

4. Chronos
    Facepalm

Oh goody!

Another new standard which means it'll be motherboard, CPU and RAM replaced and the old stuff just binned. Whoopty-doo!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh goody!

No one's forcing you to adopt DDR5. DDR2 & DDR3 are still readily available, so you will be able to keep using that DDR4 board for many years to come.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Glen 1
      Trollface

Re: Oh goody!

You can take my socket 7 motherboard from my cold dead hands!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like