back to article India tech firms warned not to abuse their exceptions to national coronavirus lockdown

India's technology services industry has been granted a limited exemption from the nation's 21-day lockdown aimed at preventing the spread of the novel coronavirus, but also been warned not to abuse its privileges by sneaking in work to avoid contractual complications. Prime minister Narendra Modi yesterday gave India a scant …

1. IceC0ld

Outsourced

just wondering now, how they are going to be able to maintain their outsourced work, I work on a UK contract for a client where EVERYTHING is held offshore, and we have had zero feedback in relation to this at all.

we are indeed living in 'Interesting Times' :o(

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Outsourced

Oh don't worry, I'm sure they will do the needful.

2. big_D Silver badge

Re: Outsourced

That was the point, they shouldn't be doing outsourced work, only essential work (for the continuity of service in India) with essential employees on site. If they can home-work, they can do the non-essential stuff, like outsourced development, helpdesks etc.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"contracts carrying penalties"

It seems obvious to me that, given the period, a judge will not rule in favor of a client complaining that the job wasn't done on time.

It should be useless to even try. Nobody is going to be on time for a few months at least. This lockdown is going to throw plenty of schedules into the shredder.

3. msknight

Fat chance

A friend of mine worked in the electrical supply industry. He recounted the Indian mentality of risking their lives to reverse the live lines to their meters with the attitude that it was the respnsibility of the electric companies to catch them.

I coudl detail more, but the upshot is that if you think the UK was bad to ignore BoJo's orders, in India disobediance would likely be considered the norm.

One bar owner complied with the "distance of door from pavement" ruling by creating a snaking customer path outside the entrance. Ingenious. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/25/alcohol-ruling-drives-indian-bar-goers-round-bends

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds familiar

As managers of property portfolios with telecommunications base stations on the roof, we are seeing all the MNO's pushing their key worker status to carry out routine maintenance, H&S and other non essential work. Given that the occupants of many of the buildings are themselves key workers (emergency services) our clients are naturally unimpressed with this irresponsible behaviour. Just goes to show that you cant make a leopard change its spots.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like