back to article 'Azure appears to be full': UK punters complain of capacity issues on Microsoft's cloud

Customers of Microsoft's Azure cloud are reporting capacity issues such as the inability to create resources and associated reliability issues. Outage-tracking website Down Detector shows quite a few reports about UK Azure issues today, yet the official Azure Status page is all green ticks. The inability to provision resources …

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Unhappy

Been having problems since about 1pm this afternoon (about 3 hours now), so this doesn't really surprise me.

2. MatthewSt

North Europe

We've been seeing errors trying to scale up in North Europe since 9am. Thankfully we're ticking over nicely at minimum

1. MatthewSt

Re: North Europe

I was able to scale up after 6pm (didn't need to, but was experimenting)

3. SecretSonOfHG

Who would have thought? Serverless things need to work ... servers!!!

A lot of people, even IT people, think that "serverless" is some kind of magic technology that spares you from having an actual server to execute things. Marketingspeak for "serverless" is "you don't need to pay for a server to execute this", but many people miss that part.

1. Robert Grant

Re: Who would have thought? Serverless things need to work ... servers!!!

Doesn't really matter in this context, though.

4. Ryan Kendall

Had issues since last week

It's been like this since 19th and its not getting better.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Invalid and Valid

I can forgive MS for running into capacity issues due to demand spiking just as I can forgive stores for not having stockpiles of masks.

But I can't forgive the Azure status page for not admitting to the problem.

1. Tim 11

Re: Invalid and Valid

From memory, Microsoft service agreements use some kind of weasel words to the effect that a service is only considered down if no part of the service is running at all. Couldn't log in to your email? but the login page appeared didn't it? so the service was up but just in a degraded state.

6. colinb

Looks like i picked the wrong week to quit on prem.

Been like this from at least Friday here. Europe North. Status page is clearly rubbish.

Definitely getting worse and i would finger Teams for this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks like i picked the wrong week to quit on prem.

While Teams is part of the issue, looking at the restrictions Microsoft are bringing into force for OneNote (read-only from within Teams), Sharepoint (file size restrictions, particularly for video) and Streams (size restrictions) it sounds like there are scalability issues with storage and session times.

I know that historically, MS had fairly tight file size limits due to web server timeouts so I guess its happening again?

1. MatthewSt

I think (haven't checked) that these are being brought in because these requests go _through_ the Teams infrastructure and then onto OneNote / SharePoint infrastructure, so accessing them through Teams causes more load than accessing them directly.

The capacity problem they're going to have is two-fold. One is the sheer number of extra users (they reckon 12 million / 30+% in a week) and the second is the increased usage by existing users. If you worked in a big office and used Teams for IM but had face to face meetings, you're now all doing video calls for the meetings.

I would imagine that the video quality issue is less down to the storage size and more down to the bandwidth and processing requirements. When you record a meeting through Teams (to save to Streams) it does some post-processing on it, so the video is normally available a while after the meeting has finished to give it time to finish rendering (and generate subtitles etc). Reducing the quality of this will mean that they don't need as much resources behind it. Personally I'd prefer to keep the quality and have the recording delayed (eg for our requirements it would be fine to have the recording available within 24 hours of the meeting rather than within 15 minutes)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I really, really have no idea why anyone would want to do video calls on a regular basis. I’ve been working with remote team members for over 10 years and have never needed video conferencing.

1. phuzz Silver badge
            Unhappy

The same reason we have to have meetings to deal with something that could easily have been an email.

Some people can't deal without face to face contact, and they often fail upwards into management.

1. Robert Grant

I dare you to say that to my face! Because I can't read.

2. MatthewSt

I've been remote for 10 years too, and while we've never _needed_ it, we find that it makes things easier. Unless you're able to make decisions with just two people, having video means you can tell if someone is looking like they want to say something (so you interrupt each other less). You can ask yes/no questions and not need everyone on the call to wait in turn to answer because you can see nodding and shaking heads. You can see if someone has forgotten to un-mute themselves rather than them having to work out for themselves why no one's responding to anything they're saying. You can see if they've had some other form of interruption without them having to say anything.

Do you have phone calls instead, or instant messaging or emails? Or are you lucky enough to not have to communicate as part of your day to day job? Different things work for different people and different teams, and this idea of "I don't like it so I don't see why anyone else would do it" seems defeatist in this day and age.

2. colinb

This is for starting VMs so maybe bandwidth but it needs to rehydrate the disks and find a slot on a host to run the VM.

Both are probably requisitioned for higher priorities and i'm sure the algo puts MS internal needs (Teams, O365 etc..) above anyone else including emergency services.

Would love to see that decision tree published.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud.

Lol. Who’d have thought there could be any problems?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Cloud.

Some of us have been saying this for years.

I see some MS tool downvoted you.

1. wallaby

"Some of us have been saying this for years.

I see some MS tool downvoted you."

Its not about MS or anything else other than who could have forseen circumstances like we have at the moment which is ripping up the growth predictions.

so yes, downvotes - shame only can do one

1. tiggity Silver badge

I think lots could have predicted this - plenty of novel viruses over the last few decades, we fortunately missed a lockdown bullet with plenty of them e.g. SARS not being as problematic as some feared, this time not so lucky.

But a lot of those sort of people are not in "decision making" positions as they tend to be castigated for being "negative" and do not rise the greasy pole (cautious risk assessments, considering near worst case scenarios (i.e. consider most bad possibilities but ignore the you're screwed regardless beyond Carrington event level possibilities) all mean raising concerns a lot of people do not want to hear)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Boss to IT: "why are my staff complaining about their fucking computer things"

IT: "Well, you know a while back when I said I don't think we should....."

Boss to IT: "I don't care just make it work right fucking now, you lot in IT are assholes"

1. macjules

IT: "Could you just step over to this window? Is that your Volvo in the car park?"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cloudy stuff needs some CPU cycles somewhere to run

That means that it is just someone else's computer that you are using and...

Oh wait... A million other buisnesses want to use that same computer at the same time as me.

Time for a re-think about going all in on cloud perhaps?

{when the is all over naturally}

My working from home is not reliant on any this MS Collaboration stuff. My VM's are all on the server that sits in my Garage (very cool in there, 1C at the moment).

Just BAU as it has been since 2012 and as long as the phone/text/email works then I can

"Carry on and Keep Coding"

YMMV naturally.

1. thondwe

Don't suppose anyone's worried about running over someone else's network infrastructure or using someone else's power or is your remote working supported by a direct microwave link with your own windfarm??

8. Erewhon

The Cloud...

Other peoples computers you have no control over.

Pint of Cloudy Bollocks please

9. ecofeco Silver badge

I NEVER tired of saying it

How's that cloud thing working for ya?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I NEVER tired of saying it

Good thanks, we are in AWS

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Also pretty well thanks - our stuff on AWS running fine, no scaling issues, and hey, if we need to reduce our costs we can just turn stuff off

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pretty good, using O365 takes the load off our VPN.

10. Frumious Bandersnatch

Experts advised "PANIC" ...

as, Slowly, One By One, all the copies of "Never gonna give you up!" Were Going Out.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Homework

Schools are using MS cloud to teach during the close down. My granddaughters school is expecting the kids to be on-line for a full school day. It's created another 5 million users overnight.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Homework

And let us not get into the lunacy of schools not letting up on the teaching load and expecting parents to be stand-in teachers, while parents are working from home trying to bring in the next month's wages under the threat of their employer going under or downsizing.

1. I sound like Peter Griffin!!

Parents are used to multi-tasking... they'll be fiiiiiinnneee...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ours are using Google classroom or whatever it's called. But you're right, it's difficult to be a parent and worker and child minder.

We just do what we can until the current crisis passes. At least there is a way for them to do some school work, it wouldn't have been possible when I was a child.

1. Adrian Harvey
            Headmaster

When were you a child? In 1947 there was a Polio epidemic in New Zealand, and all the schools closed for a term (as well as no Cinemas, public meetings, etc). All the children were enrolled in Correspondence School, and the work posted out to them. One of the radio stations was co-opted and and certain lessons were broadcast at fixed times. So, for example Form 3 English might be 10-11 on Wednesdays.

I’m sure the latest tech has made it a little easier, and more interactive, but it has been *possible* for a very long time.

Icon because it’s a teacher... and because I’m being pedantic about the word possible so I can tell my anecdote :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Adrian gets an upvote for his comment on my comment as I hadn't heard of that before.

The only thing which occurred to me is that according to my parents TV wasn't very prevalent in 1947, at least in the UK.

Now that you mention it I can remember various schools programs on in the 70s and of course I'm aware of the OU.... but getting that kind of thing up and running across a country, for primary and secondary schools in a matter of days would have been a challenge in 70s Britain in my opinion.

What's nice now is that some teachers are doing "conf call" teaching to top up the other services. It's nice for the kids to be able to see their classmates and teachers.

...and the good news is that so far I haven't had to kill any of my children :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

They have actually got school lessons up on Spanish TV in a week.

It looks like they used some of their own children's TV programs and did a deal with some educational YouTube channels and restructured them a bit, but it's enough for the short term.

Also in the 80s there were Programmes for Schools on British TV. I wonder if they'll dust them off soon.

2. colinb

Hm, remote learning has been possible for a long time, via Radio for example in Australia

Remember seeing Blue Peter do a thing on outback kids learning via Radio back in the 70s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_of_the_Air

2. NightFox

Schools are damned if they do, damned if they don't. They have a remit to try to continue education to the highest standard they can, given the circumstances. If some home environments can't (or won't) accommodate that, then so be it, those families should do what they can.

People need to accept that there's no perfect solution to any of the challenges thrown up by Covid-19, everything's a balanced compromise. So pointing out and moaning about the obvious downsides in any solution doesn't really help at all (not a dig, just a general observation).

3. DreamEater

My child is 7, I feel that a term, or maybe two will be fine for him to "miss", he will still do work at home, but no where near the level the school is pumping it out at.

I know we're asked to stay in, but we're also encouraged to be out exercising, so in our once a day opportunity to leave the house, we'll most likely do some "exploring" of the local woods and countryside, he will learn a lot of things that can't be taught in the classroom, which I feel can only be a good thing.

Unfortunately I don't know what the end result will be, I can only do what I think is best for our mental and physical health at this time, being stressed out about work, school and caring all at the same time can't be good.

[/2cents]

12. Confuciousmobil

Cloud

Look out of the windows folks.

The clouds have all disappeared. That is why people are having problems, we are not used to having no clouds in the UK.

1. thondwe

Re: Clouds and Stars

Nice isn't it - stars down here (area applying to get Dark Sky status) are brilliant. Since the country's at least partly shutdown maybe they could turn of the lights in cities an hour or so at night and let everyone enjoy...

13. localzuk Silver badge

Interesting

How Microsoft seem to be the only cloud provider struggling. Not heard of AWS or Google struggling to scale.

Even down to their productivity suite, I've seen no end of issues with people on Office 365 - Teams being a big issue. Those people using G Suite don't seem to have faced any of those sorts of issues.

A consequence of Microsoft leveraging legacy systems (Exchange, Sharepoint etc...) with fancy modern skins, vs from the ground up built solutions at Google?

1. hoola Silver badge

Re: Interesting

Because AWS bought up almost every CPU and and SSD that existed for months in Q4 of 2019. It may have just been a refresh or were they preempting this?

1. theblackhand

Re: Interesting

Intels q4 server CPU sales were off the charts - up around 49%

I know Nvidia contributed a chunk of that with their Geforce Now DC's, but hadn't hard which of the other big cloud providers took the rest.

AWS/Azure/Google had all been delaying spending waiting for new chips, any evidence that it was AWS that won?

14. semtix

Czech Republic Azure

We have the same problems with Azure in CEE now... Check out more details:

https://semtix.cz/koronavir-zpusobuje-x-problemu-ktere-by-jinak-nikdy-nenastaly/

15. Electric Panda

Office365 is also wobbling today. I have been having intermittent Outlook and Teams connectivity issues since about 10am, as have my colleagues on different ISPs in their own homes.

16. dgappy

I've been provisioning stuff today, no issues. It seems to be related to which services you are trying to provision.

17. Anonymous Coward
    1. Bigest Al

Re: Blog post from Microsoft

Oh yes, Big pharma then, need sisutain traffic on this new landings for a cure from corona only 10 downpayments of 999 usd each.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like