back to article Equinix closes data centres to customers, contractors in France, Germany, Italy, Spain amid coronavirus pandemic

Equinix has all but closed its data centres in France, Germany, Italy and Spain as of Monday, March 23, at 0800 Central European Time. The COVID-19 coronavirus protection measure means "visitors, customers, customer contractors and non-critical Equinix vendors will not be permitted to enter the IBX facilities" in the four …

1. Aqua Marina

I've spent the last 2 weeks asking every supplier that is sending me "service notice" emails that their operations are now all moved into the cloud, and will continue uninterrupted throughout this crisis, "What happens when due to illness the staffing levels for the cloud suppliers falls below the minimum needed to maintain service". So far no-one has been able to answer this question, most have evaded it, but I can guess that the staffing guarantee Equinix is offering is equally substanceless. At some point in the coming weeks, they may simply have no staff at all available either due to the illness itself, or external factors such as government mandated lockdowns.

1. sebbb

If people stay home and follow the hygiene rules there shouldn't be a huge impact. Of course, if people want to follow Pa Johnson instead...

2. Roland6 Silver badge

> "What happens when due to illness the staffing levels for the cloud suppliers falls below the minimum needed to maintain service"

Nothing until something happens and there is then something to be done that requires more than the staff on duty can handle to restore service...

Currently, creating tertiary continuity provisions - although currently only the FinDir at one client has the password to the payroll system... But there is a point where you do have to decide just how many people need to know where to obtain the combination to the safe containing the master access codes and are these the same people that know the access codes to the building and room containing the safe...

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Currently, creating tertiary continuity provisions - although currently only the FinDir at one client has the password to the payroll system...

I'm guessing it'll all turn out to be variations of unstoppable force vs immovable object, translated into Operations vs Finance. So businesses are finding out just how good their continuity & succession planning was in light of current events. Or why downsizing & outsourcing might have been a good idea when it was BAU, but not in these currently interesting times.

2. katrinab Silver badge
        Coat

And if it is anything like our company, the person who has the password for the payroll system is not the same person that has the password for the bank account.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020