back to article Great news, Comcast users: Your favorite cableco is selling your viewing habits to analytics biz Comscore

Comcast has signed a deal with analytics company Comscore to sell its subscribers' viewing habits. The news emerged after Comscore gave a briefing to investors on the deal, and saw its share price jump 20 per cent as a result. Since then, Comscore has signed a similar agreement with video-streaming service Twitch to obtain its …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
    Thumb Up

The pool's getting smaller

I cut the TV service a couple of years ago. Have not missed it. I can get everything I need on The Internet.

So I assume they are also logging and selling which websites I visit. Good for them. I don't really care, since I have Adblock on,

I don't see any "tailored advertising" anyway.

I have few complaints about Comcast:

- their service is usually reliable (except see below)

- they do tend to make changes which require me to reset my modem once every couple of weeks

- as long as you don't have to interact with them, they provide an acceptable service (if overpriced)

3. JohnFen Silver badge

This sort of thing

This sort of thing is why I'm happy that I don't have cable TV, and why I don't use video-streaming services, including Twitch (with the exception of YouTube, but I use that in a very locked-down way). I just assume that all online service providers is selling data collected about me, the use of my machines, and my use of their services to however is willing to pay.

I don't trust a single one of them.

4. Trigonoceps occipitalis

presumably anonymized to strip out personally identifying information

And no one will be able to de-anonymize the data, no one, ever, in any way, we promise, cross our heart, on my mother's life.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020